Basscandy92040

Glue For Weed Guards?

Greetings All,

I am new to this site. been reading things here and there. I am wanting to do custom jigs. I already have my handpours going. I went the route of painting jigs with the weed guards in them. that was tough. I am getting a fluid bed and doing the right way.

My question is, what is the best/strongest glue to use for gluing in the weed guards?? 2 part epoxy?

Thanks Cliff

Greetings All,

I am new to this site. been reading things here and there. I am wanting to do custom jigs. I already have my handpours going. I went the route of painting jigs with the weed guards in them. that was tough. I am getting a fluid bed and doing the right way.

My question is, what is the best/strongest glue to use for gluing in the weed guards?? 2 part epoxy?

Thanks Cliff

Lock-tite gel.

Greetings All,

Thanks Cliff

I have been using devcon 2t epoxy. You will get several suggestions and all of them will be good choices. I like devcon because it stays clear and protects the cosmetic look of your baits.

I have been using devcon 2t epoxy. You will get several suggestions and all of them will be good choices. I like devcon because it stays clear and protects the cosmetic look of your baits.

lock tight gel its the best all so if you have a weed gard thats to soft for heavy cover put a little gule up the weed gard about 1/8" this will realy stiffin it up if you want it soft again just break it up . I have done this for years save alot of snaging i use wg30 and always trim out 5 to8 gards from the center

Hello,

I tried the gel and I'm still having a awful time. I'm using Loctite gel, the red style. Is there a technique for application that works best. It seem when I insert the weed guard most of the glue oozes out .

One question is if I powder paint and some paint gets in the weed guard hole will that effect bonding?. Also my weed guards are having a hard time fitting after I paint. I'm using the do it flipping mold and it take the eagle claw 730. That gel kind of effects the finish as well. I think oncee I get the application part down it will become less of a issue.

Hello,

I tried the gel and I'm still having a awful time. I'm using Loctite gel, the red style. Is there a technique for application that works best. It seem when I insert the weed guard most of the glue oozes out .

One question is if I powder paint and some paint gets in the weed guard hole will that effect bonding?. Also my weed guards are having a hard time fitting after I paint. I'm using the do it flipping mold and it take the eagle claw 730. That gel kind of effects the finish as well. I think oncee I get the application part down it will become less of a issue.

Tuna, I use a glue called Goop. You can get it from Walmart, K-Mart, etc. It also goes under the name of shoe goo, Sportsman's goop, Marine Goop, and E-6000(which is the main name I believe). The point is they are all basically the same product, just different names, made by the same company. Just open the lid and puncture the seal and let a little ooze out, then dip the end of your guard in it and place it in the hole. It's kind of thick so it won't come out too fast. Just don't squeeze too hard. It drys flexible and clear and won't get brittle like super glue. Any excess peels right off . Oh and it make a great fly tying cement if you mix it 2 parts Xylene to 1 part Goop. It makes one of the best flexible fly tying cement on the planet. Just don't breate the fumes. Now, this is how I do my painting. I leave the hole pins in till I bake the paint on and then pull them out and the hole is clean. Just clean the paint off the pins later and use them again. Hope this helps, JIM

Thanks Jim,

I will give it a try. I have 25 bucks tied up in glues that im not happy with. The loctite stuff is so messy and hard on the finger tips. I like the idea of clear glue. Thanks again

Tuna, no sweat. Glad I could help. I think you'll be pleased with the goop. For any of you folks that tie flies too it is a great glue for gluing on eyes on deer hair bass bugs and such. It will stick to most anything.

Edited by jimcline

Greetings All,

Thanks Cliff

I use the two part epoxy with dries in 5 minutes and cures in 30 minutes. It takes a quick hand and make sure all your weedguard holes are clean. I drill mine out with a 1/8th inch drill bit. It takes time but I have never had a weedguard come out on me. Use small batches of epoxy and I think you will have good results.

In Him,

Bro. Daniel

After cleaning the 1/8th. hole out with a reaming tool, I use 1 SMALL drop of medium viscosity "Super" glue on the end of the weedguard.. The brand does not really matter here. I have tried them all and use whatever I have on hand. I own a furniture repair business and we use Mohawk products so... I use their brand. I have used Jet, Zap-A-Gap and many others and they all work wonderfully, and set up super fast. I like medium because it does not creep as bad as thin does. I have had soft fiberguards turn very stiff from the glue wicking up the fibers!! The heavy visc, works good but takes a bit longer to set up, but the advantage is: it will not wick up the fibers!!

After cleaning the 1/8th. hole out with a reaming tool, I use 1 SMALL drop of medium viscosity "Super" glue on the end of the weedguard.. The brand does not really matter here. I have tried them all and use whatever I have on hand. I own a furniture repair business and we use Mohawk products so... I use their brand. I have used Jet, Zap-A-Gap and many others and they all work wonderfully, and set up super fast. I like medium because it does not creep as bad as thin does. I have had soft fiberguards turn very stiff from the glue wicking up the fibers!! The heavy visc, works good but takes a bit longer to set up, but the advantage is: it will not wick up the fibers!!

Tuna this is how I paint my jigs, 1)remove metal pin and hand spin a 1/8 drill bit in the weed guard hole to clean it out. 2) insert 1/8 wood dowel cut to size. 3) heat jig with heat gun.4) dip in fluid bed then dip jig into water bath, this hardens the paint so you can remove the dowel and clean off any excess paint( paint will be brittle).5) bake jig in toaster oven. 6) glue in weed guards with devcon 2 ton epoxy while watching tv

Well dummy me, I was using the red locktite "thread lock " gel...... DON'T. What a mess!!!!!!! I figured it out boys ! Locktite makes a super glue gel not thread locker gel. I had to throw out about a dozen jigs. Not to mention 20 bucks later in glue. Thanks Cadman for the fluid bed directions. I'm on my way!

tuna :rolleyes:

Edited by Da big tuna

Well dummy me, I was using the red locktite "thread lock " gel...... DON'T. What a mess!!!!!!! I figured it out boys ! Locktite makes a super glue gel not thread locker gel. I had to throw out about a dozen jigs. Not to mention 20 bucks later in glue. Thanks Cadman for the fluid bed directions. I'm on my way!

tuna :rolleyes:

Wow I didn't think of it but I could have put a link in here and it would have made it easier for you. Although it is too late here is a link for anyone else that is looking for Loctite. http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=345627&pid=_Froogle&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=221846. So you used Loctite thread sealer, yeah that definitely won't work. Hope that fluid bed worked out for you.

Tuna, I use a glue called Goop. You can get it from Walmart, K-Mart, etc. It also goes under the name of shoe goo, Sportsman's goop, Marine Goop, and E-6000(which is the main name I believe). The point is they are all basically the same product, just different names, made by the same company.

My other hobby is making trail cameras. I use Marine Goop to seal in the lenses for the flash, PIR sensor and lens holes. And the other mounting hardware etc. My oldest cam is now 5 years old. My trail cameras stay out in the woods year round. 100° in the summer and -40° in the winter. Rain, sleet, snow and ice. Marine Goop is still keeping out the weather and the water.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Otterods/NEW%20Trail%20Cam%20Photos/DSC03863.jpg

Edited by Mattman

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2010 at 5:28 AM, cadman said:

Cliff,

I assume you are going the other route and putting the weedguards in after baking the jig? You will get many answers here. I use Lock-Tite Gel super glue and Devcon 2 Ton epoxy (D2T).

Cadman, How many jigs will the normal bottles of devcon epoxy do? Trying to figure out pricing thanks

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2010 at 6:54 PM, jimcline said:

Tuna, no sweat. Glad I could help. I think you'll be pleased with the goop. For any of you folks that tie flies too it is a great glue for gluing on eyes on deer hair bass bugs and such. It will stick to most anything.

Hey Jigman, what type of super glue, and on average how many jigs can you get out off one thing of super glue??

55 minutes ago, Wild Batey said:

Cadman, How many jigs will the normal bottles of devcon epoxy do? Trying to figure out pricing thanks

Wild Batey, Welcome to Tackle Underground. Devcon 2 ton is a 2 part epoxy which has to be mixed. It comes in 2 syringes. If you use this for weedguards, you can probably easily do 500 + weedguards, 

2 minutes ago, cadman said:

Wild Batey, Welcome to Tackle Underground. Devcon 2 ton is a 2 part epoxy which has to be mixed. It comes in 2 syringes. If you use this for weedguards, you can probably easily do 500 + weedguards, 

Thanks cadman.  I am new too lure making but I am getting off to  rocky start.  I was looking at the teflon pins. Do you know of anything similar that can be purchased locally.  I intend to make the most custom jigs I can.  I am purchasing the jigs without gaurds. So I need the pins for that. And then I can add the custom guards.  Packaging is also an issue im running into.  What do you use?

6 hours ago, Wild Batey said:

Thanks cadman.  I am new too lure making but I am getting off to  rocky start.  I was looking at the teflon pins. Do you know of anything similar that can be purchased locally.  I intend to make the most custom jigs I can.  I am purchasing the jigs without gaurds. So I need the pins for that. And then I can add the custom guards.  Packaging is also an issue im running into.  What do you use?

You have  a PM from me.

One more vote for Devcon 2 ton here. I used to use Loctite Superglue but didn't like handling it. I also prefer D2T for securing eyes on my swim jigs. One other downside to using superglue, if I put them in the bags I use for display too soon, the superglue reacts with the bag and kind of melts the bag a little.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2018 at 3:45 PM, FrogAddict said:

One more vote for Devcon 2 ton here. I used to use Loctite Superglue but didn't like handling it. I also prefer D2T for securing eyes on my swim jigs. One other downside to using superglue, if I put them in the bags I use for display too soon, the superglue reacts with the bag and kind of melts the bag a little.

Loctite has only caused problems for me, I have a small lure making company and I sell a lot of the jigs I make. So understandably I want them to look high quality, but with Loctite a white residue forms and its extremely annoying.  What do you recommend I do to make sure I have a better final product.