crotalus

What Resins?

I've been doing a bit of research on polyurethane casting resins for making multi jointed swimbaits, there are so many to choose from. I'm looking for something that is very strong, has some give/flex, and can take microballoons. What are guys like Mickey Ellis of 3:16, and nate of nate's baits using? What are you guys using? Dascar? Alumalite? Smoothon? Freeman?.........? Too many.

thanks

Eric Lightfoot

I've been doing a bit of research on polyurethane casting resins for making multi jointed swimbaits, there are so many to choose from. I'm looking for something that is very strong, has some give/flex, and can take microballoons. What are guys like Mickey Ellis of 3:16, and nate of nate's baits using? What are you guys using? Dascar? Alumalite? Smoothon? Freeman?.........? Too many.

thanks

Eric Lightfoot

I'm not sure what those guys are using. I'm using a resin from aero marine. However, it is hard and doesn't have any flex, so I can't help much there. I think on the alumilite website it has a variety of different resins you can chose with specs listed for stuff like "hardness." I've also used smooth-on featherlight (which has the balloons added) and hated it. From what I've seen, a lot of resins will come out similar regardless of brand name. The only reason why featherlight sucked was because you had to mix the whole thing (microballoons separate from resin). Several people on this website do like this stuff, but I preferred mixing my filler for each use. It will take a lot of trial runs before you get your desired buoyancy if you go this route, so its not the fast way. If you do decide to mix in your mb, be sure to keep record of how much mb you put in to "x" amount of resin, otherwise you'll make that perfect lure and not be able to replicate it.

I'm not sure what those guys are using. I'm using a resin from aero marine. However, it is hard and doesn't have any flex, so I can't help much there. I think on the alumilite website it has a variety of different resins you can chose with specs listed for stuff like "hardness." I've also used smooth-on featherlight (which has the balloons added) and hated it. From what I've seen, a lot of resins will come out similar regardless of brand name. The only reason why featherlight sucked was because you had to mix the whole thing (microballoons separate from resin). Several people on this website do like this stuff, but I preferred mixing my filler for each use. It will take a lot of trial runs before you get your desired buoyancy if you go this route, so its not the fast way. If you do decide to mix in your mb, be sure to keep record of how much mb you put in to "x" amount of resin, otherwise you'll make that perfect lure and not be able to replicate it.

Thanks A-mac, how do you like the aero marine? Do you get many bubbles in you cast lures?

I use Alumilite white resin. You do have to add MBS to get it to float but it is a good resin and the customer service is great. When you have a question give them a call and you get to talk to a person that has actually used the resin and will stop at nothing to make thing right for you. I do get bubbles but if you get a system down you can minimize them to a managable amount. The prices you will find are all over the board and the only reason that I have consistantly get is that some co use fillersto cut the resin and some dont. I was in contact with a gentleman that casts box cars and tried a less expensive resin. He said it cast well but over time it actually distorted. Now that may not be a problem with baits but the cost per bait is not much more so I choose to use what I believe is a high quality product just like the baits I make. I am sure this thread will last a while longer so more later. Frank

When you have a question give them a call and you get to talk to a person that has actually used the resin and will stop at nothing to make thing right for you.

I will second this statement. The customer service is bar none!

They even apologized for the cost of shipping to Europe. I ended up with FastCast from Axson, which you also can get in different shore hardness. The one Im experimenting with now is 72a and is very hard.

In my 2 part mold I got a few nasty bubbles, but I just added another vent hole and I tapped the mold alittle bit, and they were gone. I had another dimple to sand away, but rather that, than my bait looking like cheese.

Michael

thanks

Eric Lightfoot

have you tried e-mailing him. Heck i did and he reffered me here so that i could be telling you to e-mail him. The type of resin he uses may be a closely guarded secret but it is worth a shot ain't it.

Thanks A-mac, how do you like the aero marine? Do you get many bubbles in you cast lures?

I haven't found a resin that didn't have bubbles yet; however, you can reduce bubbles significantly by pouring in an area with a constant temp. I pour in our guest room (man that one really ticks the lady friend off!). I've noticed that right around 60F has worked best for me. Don't get me wrong, I do get bubbles and if your adding mb's then there is no way around it, but making sure you do everything exactly the same every time will help. The price is right for aero, and it seems just as good if not better than anything else I've tried (but haven't tried alumilite).

I weigh and record my swimbaits 4 times for each section. I'll weigh the poured section, then the trimmed and drilled pieces, then weigh after paint and clear, then a final weigh after weighting (for desired rate of fall). Even by doing everything the exact same (to the second when stirring the resins!) I can still have a gram difference FOR EACH SECTION between 2 different baits. Hard to believe that a piece that weighs only 3 grams (on average) can come out 2.1 grams for the next pour a half hour later (does anyone know if alumilite is the same way?). However, each section is consistent with each piece within that pour. For example, if you pour a 4 piece bait, each piece will have the same proportions by weight in comparison to another bait. So if you do get a section that seams a little light, all the other pieces from that same pour will be just a little light as well. What does all this mean? Well if you keep a record you can look up a previous lure with a similar weight and add the correct amount of weight to make it do what you want. Sorry, kind of getting obsessed with this... just take my word for it a record everything. It will save you time and money.

I haven't found a resin that didn't have bubbles yet; however, you can reduce bubbles significantly by pouring in an area with a constant temp. I pour in our guest room (man that one really ticks the lady friend off!). I've noticed that right around 60F has worked best for me. Don't get me wrong, I do get bubbles and if your adding mb's then there is no way around it, but making sure you do everything exactly the same every time will help. The price is right for aero, and it seems just as good if not better than anything else I've tried (but haven't tried alumilite).

I weigh and record my swimbaits 4 times for each section. I'll weigh the poured section, then the trimmed and drilled pieces, then weigh after paint and clear, then a final weigh after weighting (for desired rate of fall). Even by doing everything the exact same (to the second when stirring the resins!) I can still have a gram difference FOR EACH SECTION between 2 different baits. Hard to believe that a piece that weighs only 3 grams (on average) can come out 2.1 grams for the next pour a half hour later (does anyone know if alumilite is the same way?). However, each section is consistent with each piece within that pour. For example, if you pour a 4 piece bait, each piece will have the same proportions by weight in comparison to another bait. So if you do get a section that seams a little light, all the other pieces from that same pour will be just a little light as well. What does all this mean? Well if you keep a record you can look up a previous lure with a similar weight and add the correct amount of weight to make it do what you want. Sorry, kind of getting obsessed with this... just take my word for it a record everything. It will save you time and money.

I will Weigh next time and see what I get.Good read and I dont think that what you do is a bad thing you just want to be consistant.Frank

I will definitely make a detailed log and take notes. thanks for the advice. I'm thinking about trying Smoothcast 60D.

I was looking around on alumilites site and saw some good comparisons on hardness. I was looking at the flex series and it gave good referances to ordinary objects. Like 60d hardness is like a shoe sole. I guess i have been using in the 70 range which is more like a car tire. Alot of info over there.

Edited by Frank