mark poulson

Swimbait Tails

Angel,

I got an email notification of your question, but I couldn't find it on the site, so I'm posting my answer here.

The tails I use for my swimbaits are either the original Triple Trout tails, by Scott Whimer, or tails from David Sullivan, a.k.a. Captsully, who posts here.

I get the TT tails at Performance Tackle:

http://www.performancetackle.com/brands/22nd-century-swimbait-co-/c22NDCENURYSWIMBAITCO-p0.html

The tails are attached by means of a coil of sst wire, like a spring, that's epoxied into the tail section of the bait.

I make the coils by wrapping the wire around a 5/16" diameter lag screw that's held in a vise. It really helps to use a pair of vice grips to hold the starting end of the wire, so it gets held agains the workbench and won't slip, and to use a pair of leather gloves, so you don't hurt your hands.

I typically make a coil as long as the lag, and then cut off sections for each bait as I need them. I try to leave two full coils exposed to attach the tails, which are "screwed" onto the coil.

Angel,

I got an email notification of your question, but I couldn't find it on the site, so I'm posting my answer here.

The tails I use for my swimbaits are either the original Triple Trout tails, by Scott Whimer, or tails from David Sullivan, a.k.a. Captsully, who posts here.

I get the TT tails at Performance Tackle:

http://www.performancetackle.com/brands/22nd-century-swimbait-co-/c22NDCENURYSWIMBAITCO-p0.html

The tails are attached by means of a coil of sst wire, like a spring, that's epoxied into the tail section of the bait.

I make the coils by wrapping the wire around a 5/16" diameter lag screw that's held in a vise. It really helps to use a pair of vice grips to hold the starting end of the wire, so it gets held agains the workbench and won't slip, and to use a pair of leather gloves, so you don't hurt your hands.

I typically make a coil as long as the lag, and then cut off sections for each bait as I need them. I try to leave two full coils exposed to attach the tails, which are "screwed" onto the coil.

Thats awesome! Its amazing how variable but simply genius the "tricks of the trade" are.

As for the smallie on your swimbait!!!! INCREDIBLE! I'm sure that one made your day!

Yeah, it was a rush.

l was on my way back to the ramp, which is up the feeder creek from the main lake, and stopped at the main point at the mouth, where was a mud line.

I stopped, tied on the white lure, a med. sinker, and began to throw it parallel to the bank on the creek side of the point. I was counting it down to about 5', figuring the mud was only on the top.

The third cast, it got "stuck", and I knew there was nothing there to hang up on, so I swung.

Gotta love those smallies!

Mark I know that it is real conveniant to buy the tails but do the color choices ever dictate the colors that you have to use?

I generally buy the lightest colors, and add some color with sharpies.

Unfortunately, the sharpie colors will eventually blend together and make the whole tail dark, if I use too much.

Dave Sullivan makes a great chartruese tail that's a great starting off point for recoloring.

Unfortunately, the sharpie colors will eventually blend together and make the whole tail dark, if I use too much.

Dave Sullivan makes a great chartruese tail that's a great starting off point for recoloring.

Good idea never thought of recoloring pre made tails.

Mark, thanks for the "plug". Glad you are still liking my tails.

David