Fish Bone Custom Lures

Primers

Just a quick question? Been waiting for my DN to come in the mail so I thought I would get ahead of the game and primed about 100 crankbaits. So hears the question I just read some guys have had problems using solvent based primers and DN? I am using Krylon and rust-oleum plastic primer. If this is not going to work what is the easiest way to strip all these baits? Thanks ahead for the info guys.

There is no easy way to strip solvent based primer off 100 baits. But don't worry yet. It's good that your primer is curing and out-gassing its solvents while you wait for the DN to arrive. If it's designed for plastic, the primer may take a week or two to fully cure. Run a test batch with DN before you go whole hog. You may find there's no problem at all. If there is, I would try covering the problem primer by dipping the baits in propionate dissolved in acetone, as a barrier - I use prop to undercoat wood baits and have had no bad reactions with DN. Not a sure fix, but worth a shot.

I believe the primers are enamel based and to much solvent will wrinkle it. As for an easy way to remove the primer try some laquer thinner on a rag and wipe fast it should come right off. Why do you think you have to remove it again? Is the dn going over the top of the primer or is it going over the paint?

I believe the primers are enamel based and to much solvent will wrinkle it. As for an easy way to remove the primer try some laquer thinner on a rag and wipe fast it should come right off. Why do you think you have to remove it again? Is the dn going over the top of the primer or is it going over the paint?

Thanks for all the help guys.......Frank I am spraying createx over the primer just getting started and dont want no rookie mistakes and trash a bunch of baits.

Thanks for all the help guys.......Frank I am spraying createx over the primer just getting started and dont want no rookie mistakes and trash a bunch of baits.

If you are doing that the chances of it getting through is pretty unlikely but it could if the primer is not fully covered. The strange thing about water based products is that they are pretty solvent proof. I would try it on one bait and see what happens. Next time I would not prime with that. Only because of the top coat.

Frank, I don't know what solvents are in DN but they seem pretty active. I stripped some lures that had been dipped in DN and it looked like it had soaked through the acrylic paint to bond to the plastic underneath. That's usually a good thing but in this case, maybe not. I don't think there's a definitive answer until Rivereyes tests to see what happens. The problem with trying to strip solvent primers off plastic is that the faster solvents like lacquer thinner or acetone melt plastic and make clear plastic lips cloudy. I'd try a less volatile petroleum based solvent like naphta first - if it is necessary.