.dsaavedra.

Priming Baits

Primer? I don't got to show you no stinking primer!

I never use primer. On plastic I shoot a white acrylic basecoat and then color. The topcoat is what holds paint on the bait. If the topcoat stays intact, the primer has no function. If the topcoat fails, primer won't keep the paint on there. So I just can't see what function primer has in this application.

If you are having a problem with the krylon see if you have an automotive paint store in your area and get a sealer in a spray can. They probably have a few to choose from. It is a good idea to have a uniform base to paint over but it is not a must. The ones I use to use are from Dupont, they were acrylic based and sprayed like a dream. They dried fast also. One note on the differance between a sealer or primer is that primers usually contain same type of filler. Hope you find a good solution to this problem.

I mostly paint plastic lures and have been priming. It is hard to find a good primer. I did buy some Superhide White and plan on trying to use it as a topcoat and no primer like BobP.

I also have been playing around with a clear primer for plastic I found a Lowes. Its called Valspar Plastic Primer and comes with a clear cap. So far I like it. You only need to spray very little. Beware it runs easily ... so I have found it works best to making one good pass. I recommend doing outdoors because it has a strong odor.

Primer is a completely different product than paint. It gives the paint somthing to bite and it sticks like glue to the surface. I tried just using a white base coat and then shooting my colors. This was on some spoons I was painting. The results were disasterous. The paint just basically peeled away from the spoon after a little use. This was after a very high quality clear top coat. I have also noticed that on my cranks that I shoot with primer when they get nicked the primer coat still is there, tough as nails. I vote for using primer. I also use Krylon, but wouldn't mind another alternative if someone has a recommendation. My thought is if you have to spray the bait white anyways why not use the product that is made for "priming".

Primer is a completely different product than paint. It gives the paint somthing to bite and it sticks like glue to the surface. I tried just using a white base coat and then shooting my colors. This was on some spoons I was painting. The results were disasterous. The paint just basically peeled away from the spoon after a little use. This was after a very high quality clear top coat. I have also noticed that on my cranks that I shoot with primer when they get nicked the primer coat still is there, tough as nails. I vote for using primer. I also use Krylon, but wouldn't mind another alternative if someone has a recommendation. My thought is if you have to spray the bait white anyways why not use the product that is made for "priming".

I agree mags but like I stated earlier a good sealer does the same just no filler like primer. On metal parts it is a must to use some type of etch to get a bit on the metal. Go to an auto paint store and ask for dupont a4115. This product has some sort of chemical to bite the metal. The sealer I mentioned ealier is dupont a4220 it is just darker than white and like I said before it sprays like a dream. Once you try these you will love the ease of use. There are so many other variables to the need for primer, one example is if you are doing repaints it is realy not necesarry to prime but if you do some of the sanding rings from chips can be leveled out.