Seeking 56

Dulling Clearcoat?

After clearing a bait , does anyone take the time to actually dull the final clearcoat? One particular fellow who bought some of my baits claims his catch ratio is higher by dulling the finish? Seems if the finish is mirror like it will refract the sun has opposed to enhancing the paint scheme.

I usually fish stained waters and can't really confirm his theory.

Your thoughts?

s54

I use SC9000 one part water borne urethane for top coating. I bought some of their matte finish for a few baits. They seemed to be a little more dull in the water. Maybe they reflect the light differently.

From my experience with residential paints, I know a gloss finish is the strongest finish, due to the longer molecular chains required for a gloss finish. So I dipped in the gloss first, and then did another dip in the matte.

I don't use the matte for baits regularly, but I do brush it on my painted jigs to kill the gloss.

A bit off topic, but.............interesting read from Crankbait Central about Randy Blaukat. He dulls some of his cranks finish.

-

http://crankbaitcentral.com/FeatureArticles/Ozark-Angler-Japanese-Crankbaits-Part-II.html

-

Here's an excerpt for those who don't feel like reading the whole article. (above is link to part II)

-

Perhaps one of the most eyebrow raising modifications Randy makes to his crankbaits has to do with the bait’s finish. “One of the first things I’ll do is take some light sandpaper and sand the entire lure to knock the new shiny finish off of it. I want the gloss gone.”

In an interview I did with professional bass fisherman Randy Blaukat (see article CrankbaitCentral.com) he actually takes sand paper to his brand new Mega Bass lures to get rid of the gloss. Basically he says gloss attracts fisherman but that he catches more fish with scuffed lures. Interesting theory.

Maybe that's why older lures seem to catch more fish. Maybe they've lost their initial gloss, due to either slamming into stuff, or rolling around in a tackle box.