Termite

Newbie To Painting......few Questions

How long do you guys let your paint dry between coats? I painted my first lure last night with Createx (sp?) I let each coat dry for an hour or so but on my last coat I had some run a little bit. I'm still happy with the results because it is just for me but I want to figure out how to get it right.

Thanks.

I spray Createx and let mine dry at least 10 or 15 seconds between coats. Now let me explain. I dry each coat with a heat gun set on low heat. Most people use a hair dryer as it's real easy to get too much heat with a heat gun and pretty much everybody has a hair dryer laying around these days. Not sure about other water-based paints, but it's important to "heat set" Createx paint. Has something to do with the Createx cross linking when it is heat set. Don't ask me to explain the cross linking other than it is the way it bonds with itself and the substrate on which it's applied. Createx is actually a paint designed to paint t-shirts and it won't stay on a t-shirt unless it is heat set and that applies to baits as well. Below is a link to the Createx application guide on their website. It will give you a lot of good information about using their paint.

http://www.createxcolors.com/technical/PDFs/Createx_ApplicationGuide.pdf

Ben

Like Ben says. I don't want to sit around watching paint dry! I shoot a color, dry it with a hair dryer, shoot the next immediately. Painting goes faster! A couple of tips - if you shoot a heavy layer of paint, put the dryer on low speed and gently dry it so you won't push paint around on the bait. Also, don't dry it too hot or too fast. You can boil the paint. When you use a hair dryer on a wood bait, you will find out if your undercoating/waterproofing is working. If there is a weak spot for air to escape, it will blow a bubble in the Createx while you dry it with a hair dryer. Bottom line, don't hit it too hard or too fast. It only takes a minute anyway.

Impatience ruins lots of baits

Thanks for the tips, can I still heat-bond the paint i did yesterday or do I need to re-paint?

Since you are heat drying several coats at once, hit it with a hair dryer on low for a couple of minutes, and then go to high. There may be some moisture trapped between coats, and you want it to have a chance to get out without bubbling.

I use the hair dryer on each coat, first on low to dry it, and then on high to "set" it, that is, to create the cross link molecules that Ben was talking about.

If you do it right, the paint will become waterproof by itself.

A clear top coat is used just to protect the paint from abrasion, and to keep water away from the lure body.