5-bites

cork mods

There ae several ways to finish cork to the diameter you'd like. The methods depend on the tools at hand and your preference. You can simply use a file or rasp to reduce the size while turning the rod. Light pressure with the tool, (chosen by the amount needed to be removed) sandpaper can be used or a sanding block as well. Count your strokes, turn the rod 1/8-1/4 turn and repeat until the near the desired size. You would then switch to sandpaper, I start at 60 or 80 grit and proceed up until I put my finishing touches on with anywhere from 400 - 800 wet/dry paper, depending on the finish I want and the texture of the cork. Not on a rod? Use anything you can for a mandrel so that you can turn the rod by hand. If you have a lathe, the cork can be turned on the mandrel or rod and simply apply light pressure with sandpaper or Wall Board sanding screen to start and finish with progressivley finer paper. If you have any further questions on this technique, feel free to email me. Going away on the tomorrow for a week, though.

Ray