SIUBASSER

Crank Bait Manufacturing Question

I'm sure its been talked about on here before, but I'm having a tough time finding anything about it. How are store bought crank baits fused together. I know that they are originally two pieces, but I'm having trouble figuring how they fuse such a small diameter edge together. I don't think there is a glue strong enough to keep it like that. Is it sonic welded? Or is there some sort of chemical used to to it?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Richard

I'm sure its been talked about on here before, but I'm having a tough time finding anything about it. How are store bought crank baits fused together. I know that they are originally two pieces, but I'm having trouble figuring how they fuse such a small diameter edge together. I don't think there is a glue strong enough to keep it like that. Is it sonic welded? Or is there some sort of chemical used to to it?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Richard

Most plastics in general are either sonic welded (doubtful for cheap lures) or more likely solvent bonded..... which actually melts the plastic every so slightly (a bit on both parts) basically melting/welding them together.... on ABS.... you can try melt/bonding with Acetone, it's tricky though.... but if you check any online plastic store, you should be able to find solvents to bond most plastics...

J.

I've used general purpose PVC pipe cement with good results. You want to use the clear, not the purple prep solvent (but the clear is not sold in all states) because the purple stuff WILL bleed through your paint job - been there, done that. The PVC cement is nice because it bonds in a few seconds. I've cut sections out of Zara Spooks and glued them back together with no later problems.

@ SIUBASSER

I think , that glue used for assembling plastic models like aircraft , tanks , ships, etc.........would work as well !

In the catalog of My link they mentioned a product called "Testor's" glue , ........that mail order shop is Canadian ,......... being located in Europe I am not familiar to this product .

greetz , diemai :yay:

@ SIUBASSER

I think , that glue used for assembling plastic models like aircraft , tanks , ships, etc.........would work as well !

In the catalog of My link they mentioned a product called "Testor's" glue , ........that mail order shop is Canadian ,......... being located in Europe I am not familiar to this product .

greetz , diemai :yay:

Well the way we do it is make several molds of each half of the bait with locating pins. These are mounted on a turn table. Put a sponge in a pyrex dish and soak it with MEK. You need to have a venting system to remove the fumes. I also recommend wearing a respirator. The bottom part of the mold it fixed to the table. The top part is aligned with the bottom and fixed with clamps. This allows you to open and close the mold. Put the bottom half of the bait in the fixture, insert weights and figure 8's. Take the top half of the bait and press it down on the sponge, this will evenly distribute the MEK along the glue line. Place the top half on the bottom half and close the fixture and tighten the clamp down. Put several of the fixtures/molds around the outside diameter of your turn table so you have a fixture every four inches or so. By the time the first one gets back around to you it is glued together. Remove and start the process again. Leak test, tumble and paint! One person can do several hundred in a day. Hope this helps. If you need further help send me a pm.