LOZBasser

Trying Dick Nite's Clear Coat

Going to order some Dick Nite's Clear Coat. I have done some research on the site and I am just looking for any tips and pointers that will get me ahead of the learning curve.

Thanks

Dipping the bait seems to be the best method. You also should heat set your paint before dipping. Store it in an airtight container and use Bloxygen to keep it fresh. If you brush it make sure you heat set with a dryer and you might also use some Krylon Workable Fixative (spray can) on the paint before using the Dick Nite. You shouldn't spin baits with this product as the top will skim over and the stuff underneath will keep moving causing wrinkles. Hang it to dry.

I personally had nothing but frustration with my quart of Dick Nite. I brushed and didn't dip. Without the Krylon Fixative I often got brush streaks in my paint. Apparently the Dick Nite softened the paint enough to pick up the brush marks, using a flux brush. I also had a hell of a time keeping it from setting up in the can even though I used Bloxygen (snake gas (is there really anything in there?)) and only removed what I needed for the job at hand. I also had trouble with bubbling as the product got older (never figured out why on this one) and then I finally couldn't get it to stop curing in the can. What I have left (about a pint) is set up in a mason jar. I does leave a rock hard clear coat when it sets up which is superior to auto clear, but for ease of use I thought it was very inconsistent and finicky to use. Auto clear and two ton epoxy are much more consistent in my opinion, althoughbthe potential health hazards of the auto clear leave somthing to be desired. My two cents worth.