fishinguitars

Devcon Question

What's the difference between the 2 ton epoxy that takes a couple hours to dry....and the 1500 lb that only takes 15 minutes?

Where does everyone get their screw eyes...I can't find any smaller than 7\16

Thanks

The difference between 2 ton Devcon and 1500 lb epoxy is 500 lbs. I would assume this means it is about 1/4 stronger (2 ton). I have found that working with the 2 ton epoxy is really easier as it gives you time to work with the pieces. And it is really strong. I make my screw eyes from stainless steel leader wire. I believe it is .032 size.

Comes from Jann's Netcraft - but there are also other sources. There is a tutorial on this site showing how to make your own stainless steel screws from leader wire. I cannot remember who did the tutorial, but it really helped me to make my own screws. Thanks to the real artists here and their willingness to share their ideas and designs.

Edited by Polecat

The 15 minute stuff tends to turn yellow in a short time.

Such a cool site. I have both the 2 ton 30 minute and the 5 minute Devcon epoxies. I use the 5 minute variety for adhering bills, securing screw eyes, etc. It's ready to handle in under 1/2 hour. The 2 ton I've used so far in the top coat finish. Even though it says 30 minutes, it seems you only have 5 - 8 minutes where it's easy to apply. Going to try thinning with alcohol to extend open time from the suggestions on this site.

This hobby is very addicting. I've already blown my first year budget by 3x.

Such a cool site. I have both the 2 ton 30 minute and the 5 minute Devcon epoxies. I use the 5 minute variety for adhering bills, securing screw eyes, etc. It's ready to handle in under 1/2 hour. The 2 ton I've used so far in the top coat finish. Even though it says 30 minutes, it seems you only have 5 - 8 minutes where it's easy to apply. Going to try thinning with alcohol to extend open time from the suggestions on this site.

This hobby is very addicting. I've already blown my first year budget by 3x.

You had a budget?? :lolhuh:

You need to remember that 2 Ton Devcon is glue that we are adapting to a different purpose. The 30 minutes refers to how long it takes it to form a glue bond, not how long you have to brush it on a lure. Never use the 5 minute variety as a clearcoat - it has no "brush time", cures too quickly to level out any brush marks, and will yellow very quickly.

Devcon is a resin based epoxy. The only difference between 5 min. and the long cure Devcon is the hardner. The hardner is either fast or slow. 5 min. uses the fast hardener. It reacts quicker causing the resin to set faster. The reaction between the hardener and the resin causes alot of heat. I call the hardener in the 5 min. epoxy "HOT". This heat is what causes yellowing at times. By curing quicker it looses some tensile strength. 500lbs. to be exact. The hardner in the long cure cures the resin slower and therefore does not yellow (most of the time) and is stronger. If you want to feel the difference.... take a piece of tin foil and mix up a batch of 5 min. and hold it in your hand. You will feel the heat from the reaction. Now do the same with the long cure. You probably won't even feel it.

Skeeter