Sign in to follow this  
out2llunge

Measuring lead ballast

4 posts in this topic

out2llunge    0

Without using "real" lead casting moulds, how do you create measured amounts of lead for use as ballast?

I make a variety of baits and need differing amounts of lead depending on the lure. I don't want to buy split shot, bullets, eggs, etc. that are premeasured (and inaccurate as I've found). I've tried drilling various sized holes in a block of wood and pouring into the wood. Anybody have a better way?

Thanks!

whittler    6

Go to your local gun shop, lead bullets and shot are usually made to close tolerances most will not vary more than 1 or 2 Grs. 00 buckshot is 32 cal.,and about .320 in dia. as an example.

I agree with Whittler, lead shot has a consistant size.

You could make a little measuring scoop from a drinking straw, put some hash marks on it with a sharpy and cut the end at and angle. You could make a little wooden handle for it.

In a pinch you could count the individual shots. Mix with glue and fill in the hole.

out2llunge    0

My only problem with that is that I can't buy the ammo. In Canada you need a Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC) before you can buy guns or ammo. I don't have an FAC. :(