kyratchethead

Powder Paint Cup Bottom Material

I'm working on my first Powder Paint fluid bed and am getting ready to make the cups for this contraption. I was thinking about what to use for the breathable bottom on the cups and a thought struck (KAWHAP!) me. Has anyone ever tried children's construction paper for the bottoms of the cups? It looks as if it would be very good to let the air pass through as it appears to be quite fiberous. I was trying to think of something to use for the cup bottoms I have around the house - neither my wife or me drink coffee so using coffee filters is out unless I go buy some. I do have the brown wrapping paper that looks to be the same as the old brown paper bags are made of. If nobody has tried construction paper before, I might just experiment and let youin's know how it do.

Thanks Cadman for the fluid bed plans too!

dangestideers2.JPG

I make a mark from a square end to 4 or 5 spots around the pipe. Then I put a piece of tape along the marks. I carefully saw the pvc to lenght. When I have mine cut I lay down a piece of 100 grit sand paper on the work bench and rub the ends on it to square them up so they will stack well.

In a somewhat relate question, I have a 2 foot length of 2 inch PVC pipe

to make Powder Paint Fluid Bed Cups with. How do y'all cut your PVC pipe to make

these cups? I know that a hacksaw isn't going to give a straight enough cut to

use a 3 inch section of the pipe, so how does y'all do this?

blink.gif

I just made some from Cadmans and others designs. For scribing the PVC, I wrapped an 8.5" x 11" paper around the tube. Pulled it taught and made sure edges were all even. Taped it so it would not unravel. Now you can slide it up and down the tube and mark a complete circle. I used a sharp handsaw, but still required some sanding. I forget the type of blade is best if using a saw with fence.

I used vacuum cleaner bag for medium and it boiled GP fine. I hear the color white will be the challenge, but won't be using that right away. I used 2" PVC and the Walmart double pump. From my aquarium days, the double pump provides more air. There are bellows on both sides of the arm. While one is pushing air out, the other is drawing it in.

Good Luck.

PS: For my 1st post here (been reading for a few months), want to give a big thumbs up to Cadman. He has provided allot of info and was very patient with newbie type questions.

Well, my first attempt at a Fluid Bed is apparently a complete failure!

All I got when I connected the air pump was Powder Paint dust going all over the place.

When I disconnected the air, all I could see were three volcano holes which

spewed out dust everywhere. So construction paper don't seem to work.

I didn't expect this one to work anyway - I don't have the power tools or the

know-how to do anything like this. Maybe I can save up enough pennies

(in about a hundred years!) to buy one someone else has built.

sad.gif

Edited by kyratchethead

I'm working on my first Powder Paint fluid bed and am getting ready to make the cups for this contraption. I was thinking about what to use for the breathable bottom on the cups and a thought struck (KAWHAP!) me. Has anyone ever tried children's construction paper for the bottoms of the cups? It looks as if it would be very good to let the air pass through as it appears to be quite fiberous. I was trying to think of something to use for the cup bottoms I have around the house - neither my wife or me drink coffee so using coffee filters is out unless I go buy some. I do have the brown wrapping paper that looks to be the same as the old brown paper bags are made of. If nobody has tried construction paper before, I might just experiment and let youin's know how it do.

Thanks Cadman for the fluid bed plans too!

dangestideers2.JPG

I used a paper vaccum bag. Just cut out what I needed and glued them to my cups. The air comes threw just fine. Hope this gives you another thought.

First of all I just want to tell all you guys that I enjoy helping people out, it may sound weird but at one point in my life when I was younger I had two of the best engineers help me out at my first job, and without their help I probably wouldn't know what I know today. With all that said, I try to help others to achieve the "Perfect Jig" or what ever. Helping someone costs us nothing but a little bit of our time. So if you learn something new please share the wealth or try to mentor someone , so they can achieve what they want. It's not about being better than anyone, it's about helping others, so they can learn as well.

Kyratchethead,

I'm glad you are giving it another shot. If you were my next door neighbor I would go and help you, but Kentucky is a bit of drive for me from Illinois. If you finally decide that it is easier to buy one, please check out http://www.tjstackle.com/ Benjamin is a real nice guy to work with and he sells complete fluid beds ready to go right out of the box. Also his pricing is very reasonable. Let us now how you do.

The second cup with vacumn cleaner bag bottom was a flop too - got only three

holes that spewed the Powder Paint all over everything no matter how low the air

valve was turned on. Since I got to get ready for back surgery next week, this project

is now on hold - or possibly scraped all together. Does how much Powder Paint you put

in the cup got anything to do with it?

holes that spewed the Powder Paint all over everything no matter how low the air

valve was turned on. Since I got to get ready for back surgery next week, this project

is now on hold - or possibly scraped all together. Does how much Powder Paint you put

I find with mine, the more powder the better it works. When I tried to use lessor amounts, I had more of the volcano action going on.

I am using 2" diameter cups that are 3" long. For the few colors I've used, I put around 1.5 - 2 oz in the cup.

What size pump and how are you controlling the air? Do yo have the needle valve like what is in Cadmans plans?

I am using crude aquarium valves to adjust the air for now (its what I had). For each line, off the dual pump, I have a valve that can vent direct to air, followed by one that can constrict the air. They meet at a T just before entering the chamber. The chamber side of the T is twice the diameter of the two inlets. This works for me, but plan to get finer control valves than the plastic stuff.

Edited by FuzzyGrub

I am using 2" diameter cups that are 3" long. For the few colors I've used, I put around 1.5 - 2 oz in the cup.

What size pump and how are you controlling the air? Do yo have the needle valve like what is in Cadmans plans?

I am using crude aquarium valves to adjust the air for now (its what I had). For each line, off the dual pump, I have a valve that can vent direct to air, followed by one that can constrict the air. They meet at a T just before entering the chamber. The chamber side of the T is twice the diameter of the two inlets. This works for me, but plan to get finer control valves than the plastic stuff.

I was just looking around for the same thing, went to powderbuythepoun.com they sell fluidized paper or something like that to line hoppers for spray guns. They sell it by the sq foot and its designed for the purpuse so you might want to give that a try.