Brshpile

? For All Of You Guru's

I am painting a few DT-16's up for a friend. The question that I have is how do most of you prep this bait for painting? I usually sandblast all of my plastic baits all the way to the plastic. On the dt's, since they are wood, do you just scuff them up or sand through the clear to the bait. I am worried about the weight if I dont sand all the way down. Has anyone had any weight problems with just scuffing and painting? Thanks...

I am painting a few DT-16's up for a friend. The question that I have is how do most of you prep this bait for painting? I usually sandblast all of my plastic baits all the way to the plastic. On the dt's, since they are wood, do you just scuff them up or sand through the clear to the bait. I am worried about the weight if I dont sand all the way down. Has anyone had any weight problems with just scuffing and painting? Thanks...

I have been repainting a number of DT's lately for customers. You do not want to expose the wood, just wet sand with 400 grit and repaint, the wieght is so minimal compaired to the problems of getting into the seal coat on the wood.

I have been repainting a number of DT's lately for customers. You do not want to expose the wood, just wet sand with 400 grit and repaint, the wieght is so minimal compaired to the problems of getting into the seal coat on the wood.

Same here, Just finished a big order for a guy. All DT 16 and 20. They paint p nice....Just scuff and paint. That is all I do. I use a primer that bonds well. Tried to post pic, but there are all too big. Any help with that problem?

DT's aren't completely made of balsa. Coley, a member from this site, had the idea and was building baits with the metheod in which DTs are built 9 yrs. ago. Emory Cole is one of the best thinkers and craftsman of this art that this crankbait maker has ever met. He was definitely ahead of his time. You do not need to worry about weight on a DT. Just scuff and paint like the rest of the guys said. You can Devcon a DT with no problem and the action will be just fine.

Skeeter