Silver Streak

How To Make Dished Head On Plug

Hey guys,

I was wondering what some of you might use (tool wise) or tech. to make the "dished" out shape on a wooden plug lure like a J Plug. I've tried a small sanding drum in a drill press after cutting a 45 deg angle to dish it out some, but need more of a round dished shape along with the small profile of the sanding drum shape. I bet I just confused everyone...sorry. If anyone has seen a plug similar to the J Plug you will know what I mean by the shape of the head. Thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance. :)

101.jpg

101.jpg

101.jpg

101.jpg

101.jpg

101.jpg

101.jpg

101.jpg

post-19747-126522169207_thumb.jpg

Hey guys,

I was wondering what some of you might use (tool wise) or tech. to make the "dished" out shape on a wooden plug lure like a J Plug. I've tried a small sanding drum in a drill press after cutting a 45 deg angle to dish it out some, but need more of a round dished shape along with the small profile of the sanding drum shape. I bet I just confused everyone...sorry. If anyone has seen a plug similar to the J Plug you will know what I mean by the shape of the head. Thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance. :)

hey silver streak try using a bull nosed end mill made for machining metal make a mold out of some sort of material to hold bait steady this end mill has a round head on it but you can use it in a drill press to mill out the mouth of your bait hope this will help you out jawjacker www.jawjackerlures.com

I've dished popper plug faces by using a 1/2" metal cutting drill bit in my drill press, and gently drilling out the cup face. I hold the lure by hand, with the tail resting on my plywood bed cover, or on a wooden block. Different height blocks raise the lure up to the right height for the bit length, and lure length, so I don't have to readjust the bed height for different lures and bits.

For me, an actual true semi-circle isn't important, just so long as the face is concave, and pretty symetrical. After all, some very successful popping lures have flat faces.

But cupping the face produces more of a plopping sound, and helps the bait to spit.

I've also considered regrinding a paddle bit, so the center spur is short and thin, and the wings are in the shape I want, but, so far, I've been too lazy.

Edited by mark poulson

all you need is a forstner bit and some scrap 2x4

clamp 2 short pieces of 2x4 together and drill a hole the diameter of your plug centered on the two halves

stick your plug into this hole and clamp it tight

take a forstner bit the diameter of your desired dish and drill down through the top of the blocks at the desired angle (in your case 45 deg) so you just catch the end of the plug.

i've done something similar to cheeseheads suggestion....on my poppers, which begin as 7/8" dowels, i use a 5/8' forstner bit drilling to the depth then cut at your angle. i then use a small dremmel drum sander to finish it off..seems to work good.P1000242-1popper.jpg

P1000242-1popper.jpg

P1000242-1popper.jpg

P1000242-1popper.jpg

P1000242-1popper.jpg

P1000242-1popper.jpg

P1000242-1popper.jpg

P1000242-1popper.jpg

post-16854-126534460259_thumb.jpg

Hey guys,

I was wondering what some of you might use (tool wise) or tech. to make the "dished" out shape on a wooden plug lure like a J Plug. I've tried a small sanding drum in a drill press after cutting a 45 deg angle to dish it out some, but need more of a round dished shape along with the small profile of the sanding drum shape. I bet I just confused everyone...sorry. If anyone has seen a plug similar to the J Plug you will know what I mean by the shape of the head. Thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance. smile.gif

I use my plunge router with a round nose bit . I place the plug in my wood vise then center the bit over it then lower away.cut angle when done.