Silver Streak

Turning Plugs On Lathe Out Of Plastic

I'm thinking of trying to turn some salmon/trolling plugs out of plastic rod on a lathe. My question is what type of plastic rod would some of you guys recomend? I would like to use something that has durability and boyancy of cedar/wood. Is pvc rod a good choice, or should I go with something else? I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of using some sort of plastic material for turning plugs. Yea, I know I could just buy premade plugs, but it is so much fun making them and painting them! Any thoughts?? Thanks, guys! :)

When I was looking for a plastic to make vacuum form molds I contacted the folks at the link below. The guy I talked to was very helpful and gave me a few different choices and described the pro's and con's of each. Pretty sure he can help you as well. The link below is to their website and if you want the name and email address of the guy that helped me then message me and I will give that to you as well.

http://regal-plastics.com/index.html

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

The problem with machining PVC like AZEK is that the heat from the machining melts the plastic.

I use an occillating belt sander to shape my lures, and am very careful not to put too much pressure on them, or the plastic melts and sticks to the belt.

I don't have a problem with band sawing when I cut out the profile, since the blade is slow, but when I cut out the rectangular blanks, either on the table saw or radial arm, the faster blade speed melts the plastic a little, causing wispy trailers.

I've thought about turning the PVC, but don't think I'd use anything other than course wood rasps and sand paper to shape them.

My fishing partner works where they manufacture PVC material. I've turned some on a ShopSmith.It takes some getting used to but it can be done.It isn't as tuff as wood and you have to be careful the tool doesn't catch and dig in causing the piece to go flying.I was turning 9'' lengths and when working the center there is some give to the piece (it flexes away from the tool bit) but it stil workable.You will need a live center also.If you don't have one heat builds up on a stationary center and melts the plastic.The cool thing about PVC is you don't have to seal (waterproof) it.You can float test it at any point during construction.It eliminates a step .I haven't done alot of it and haven't field tested any (lakes are frozen) but I think this stuff is a viable option.

I'm thinking of trying to turn some salmon/trolling plugs out of plastic rod on a lathe. My question is what type of plastic rod would some of you guys recomend? I would like to use something that has durability and boyancy of cedar/wood. Is pvc rod a good choice, or should I go with something else? I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of using some sort of plastic material for turning plugs. Yea, I know I could just buy premade plugs, but it is so much fun making them and painting them! Any thoughts?? Thanks, guys! smile.gif

I turn some lures out of plastic. I used the same stuff peaple us to turn pens. I have not tested them. So I cant tell you how thay will do. Set your lethe up to spin fast. Make sure your tools are sharp. dont worry about the smell. theres a compound you need to use after sanding to get a shiny finish. you can find everything at www.woodcraft.com Thay also sell everything you will ever need to turn wood.