kahawai

Lure Boxes

just completed some lures from an old mold, which i will be displaying since they are a little to big for the fish round here.

looked high and low for suitable boxes but couldn't find any. so i decided to make some boxes out of basswood and balsa to put them in.

Wondering if any of you guys make lures to show and/or collect and if so what type of boxes do you use?

cheers!

IMG_5063.jpg

Edited by kahawai

just completed some lures from an old mold, which i will be displaying since they are a little to big for the fish round here.

looked high and low for suitable boxes but couldn't find any. so i decided to make some boxes out of basswood and balsa to put them in.

Wondering if any of you guys make lures to show and/or collect and if so what type of boxes do you use?

cheers!

IMG_5063.jpg

Excellent craftsmanship, as usual. I'll head over to the gallery to see your latest.

what kind of foam do u use? ive never heard of a foam u can pour into molds.

i use a high density 2 part expanding foam or 16lb foam. its kind of "old fashioned" round here. its not the moset user friendly stuff, it can bubble and the density varies slightly from lure to lure. takes some weighing down too. has its advantage though- its fairly cheap.

do a search on here for "16lb foam" or "foam-it 15"

cheers

WOW, those fish look great! So help a guy out a little. You first carve a detailed bait, " A Master" The you use the master to make a mold and then remove the master from the mold. Then you pour in some product and let it sit and cure. Then remove it and wrap it with? and then you add some paint. Some of the questions I have are the following if you don't mind.

1. What mold material and brand?

2. What cast material and brand?

3. What do you wrap with and what brand?

4. What kind of paints over the wrap and brand?

5. And last thing, what kind of clear coat and brand, sprayed or brushed?

I would love to try and make one of my baits with your process and see what I could come up with. How many baits can you make from one mold?

Sorry about all the questions, but it looks like you have figured some methods out that look GREAT!

Thanks

Rich

hi,

thanks for the kind words. will try to answer your questions. but take note that my materials are bought mainly from the UK where i was living...

1. a firm silicon rubber - RTV101

http://www.tiranti.co.uk/subdivision_product_list.asp?Content=RTV-101+Silicone+Rubber+-+Silicone+Rubber+-+Mouldmaking&Subcategory=51&Subdivision=173

2. smoothon's foam-it 15 or us composites' 16lb foam. have also used another brand which i can't remember the name of.

3. depends on which lures in my gallery you're referring to. assuming its the foil you're looking at- its insulation foil from the hardware store, no particular brand. have also tried kitchen aluminium foil with spray adhesive, but i much prefer the insulation foil.

4. i use rattle cans then pentel gel ink pens(& saliva) to get more detail and highlights.

http://www.pentel.co.uk/catalogue/product.asp?func=show&id=3869&did=5. depending on the colour scheme, sometimes i need to clearcoat over paint, then paint on another colour(s). i find this allows me to contol the colours better and to do detail work with thinner/solvent and a cotton bud, or tooth pick, as the clear protects the colour below.

5. mostly devcon 2t, sometimes etex. brushed.

so far i've made about 30 odd lures from 1 mould and it's still ok

hope this helps!

cheers,

peter

WOW, those fish look great! So help a guy out a little. You first carve a detailed bait, " A Master" The you use the master to make a mold and then remove the master from the mold. Then you pour in some product and let it sit and cure. Then remove it and wrap it with? and then you add some paint. Some of the questions I have are the following if you don't mind.

1. What mold material and brand?

2. What cast material and brand?

3. What do you wrap with and what brand?

4. What kind of paints over the wrap and brand?

5. And last thing, what kind of clear coat and brand, sprayed or brushed?

I would love to try and make one of my baits with your process and see what I could come up with. How many baits can you make from one mold?

Sorry about all the questions, but it looks like you have figured some methods out that look GREAT!

Thanks

Rich

Edited by kahawai

HOLY GOD! How did u accomplish this?

the scales are 3d which means the direction of the spraying matters.

1. spray white.

2. spray flourescent orange.

3. spray black from the front(nose) and top of the lure.

4. thin layer of clearcoat

5. use a gel ink pen and individually outline and hatch the gold lines.- took me a while!

6. use a cotton bud and water to cleanup/ touch up/ smudge/smear where needed.

7. final clear coat.

cheers

peter