KyHillbilly

Kentucky Lake Spoonin

You can get the long 4.5-5" flutter spoons from Jann's Netcraft. I paint them with an airbrush and water based acrylic paint, dip them in Dick Nite polyurethane, put on #3 split rings and a 2/0 treble hook, and you're good to go. Of course, buying that airbrush setup costs much more than ready-made spoons but I also use it for painting crankbaits. They are a very good ledge fishing option in water 5-15' deep. Cast right on the target area, let it sink on a semi-slack line, snap it off the bottom while retrieving - like "stroking a jig". Most strikes come on the initial drop or the first few snaps off the bottom, almost always while the spoon is fluttering down. It's a reaction bite and you can often catch multiple fish after you get one to bite, so it's efficient. I throw them on a 7' MH rod and 20 lb fluorocarbon.

I might be able to assist with this one. Find the cheapest 4 to 6 inch flutter spoons designed for salmon trolling and epoxy them together with devcon two ton or similar epoxy. I keep the color simple(silver or chrome). You can even weight the one(or two) metal flutter spoons with lead tape on the concave or convex side of the spoon from netcraft or a golf shop to achieve an action that you like. Obviously, more lead equals more depth but you can add a lot of weight and still get a pretty good action with a big spoon. I have used both of the above techniques with success, but the lakes in metro Knoxville are not quite as productive as what Kentucky Lake anglers have experienced the last couple years. Good luck.