STRATOS278

SCALE PATTERNS

This is my 1st post on this site. I have been making my baits for about a year now and have gotten alot of great info from everybody on how to do or improve my baits. Now its time to share.

This goes out to Bassnator 1 and everyone else. I have found that to do scale patterns on foil that it is easier to (1) use the stick glue that kids use in school to attach the foil to the bait over using super glue. It's easier, cleaner, and you don't have to worry about glueing your fingers together. (2) Instead of using an onion bag or anything like that to make the scale pattern on the foil, you can get a roller from any taxidermy supply with fish scale patterns on it. My baits our 2 5/8" & 2" and I use the # 1 roller or X-tra small. Cost is about $25.00 Plus shipping, well worth it in the long run. Hope this helps.

heres a site that has the scale texture roller as well as really cool stencels (for larger stuff) and an endless supply of things to build on ideas... real nice paints and airbrush supply, plus mold making and adhesives.. and it is owned by Cabelas, very quick service.

maybe you all know about site, but if not is a must check out!

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/search.php?q=scale+maker

Unless your making a lot of baits with scales

$25 bucks is a little high for me.

You can easily make scales on foil

with an allthread rod rolling in a diagonal

direction against the tape and then rolling

in the opposite direction. Works great.

Lincoya taught me this.

Coley

Hey Stratos, Welcome to the board. Now thats a good idea you mentioned, 1st about the Super Glue... I only used it cause a tutorial suggested it. 2nd about the roller... and I would consider it...... but Im gonna echoe Coley's sentiments. Im still learning this craft; and having a blast at it by the way. But Im gonna hold on to that $25.00 Bux. Not just cause Im a cheapskate mind you.... But UNTIL I GET GOOD ENOUGH AND SELL SOME BAITS.... I also cant justify it right now.

Wait a second.... I AM A CHEAPSKATE!!

I have only FINISHED 4 baits so far... and I havent run them to see if they work yet, but maybe at a later date I can consider it! But again thats some good info... I just McGyver'd my scales and made it work with what I had. (thats for any of the Old Timers that know of that show..... He could make scales out of a Bic Pen if he had to!) Any way Im storing that on my hardrive... ALSO Coley's idea he learnt from Lincoya! BOTH Good Ideas... AND INEXPENSIVE!! I will definitely be swiching however to another glue.... cause Im one who WILL SUPER GLUE FINGERS TOGETHER!! Thanks Stratos & Coley! Cody