raymondj

Airbrush And Compressor System...?

There is a ton of great info hear and I'm very happy I came across this forum... I am definitely a rookie here and am looking to take a plunge into painting... I'm very curious what everyone likes to use for airbrushing...? I've been looking (researching) on TCP Global; and am a bit overwhelmed... They clearly have everything. As someone just starting out; what would you recommend getting? Or just tell me what you use and how you like it... I greatly appreciate any info... Thanks.

I just started about 2 months ago, so not a ton of experience. I took the advice of some people and upgraded my initial purchase from a standard Badger airbrush to an Iwata HP-C. It was about $30 more than I was going to spend ($100), but I feel like I will probably not outgrow this gun. It has a 0.3 mm nozzle that's great for detail and still pretty good for general coverage. I think the C was an outgoing model and now they have a C-Plus. Still being a newb, I'd be interested to hear others opinion as well.

As for compressor, I just use an ancient hand-me down 8 gallon piston air compessor. I made sure to add a regulator and a filter as there's a lot of rust in the tank. Works fine for me, besides being kinda loud.

I have a couple of compressors from TCP Global. Had one stop working and they replaced it no problem. I use these as back ups, they are small capacity but not too loud. For most of my spraying I use a tank of compressed Nitrogen. It's silent so I don't wake the neighbors and 100% dry. 2000 lbs of compressed Nitrogen will go a long way when spraying lures. Eventually I'll probably switch to a large capacity compressor that I can enclose to keep it quiet. For now the tank works nicely. Iwata's are the right choice and TCP Global is a great source.

i bought my Iwata HP-C+ and compressor from TCP Global about 3 months ago. It came in a bundle that i believe they still offer. i spent about $400 and got the brush, comp., hose, regulator, filter, 100 mix cups, 100 mix sticks, and 20 bottles of paint that im still using.

the brush is phenomenal! im glad that i decided to spend a lil extra money for a good first brush instead of buying a "starter" to replace later. just make sure urs is gravity fed and dual action.

the compressor is very quiet and seems to work very well. urs needs to have a regulator and filter. they r a must! do not do without, ull regret it! other than that, the compressor doesnt matter too much.

and as for TCP Global, good prices, good service and very fast shipping.

hope this helps.

RaymondJ: You're getting some good advice. Please look at a recent post by the Rayburnguy on compressor. Really sounds good for $139 and USbuilt. The bench compressors don't have the cfm you may look for in shooting lots of paint. Personally, I like quiet and use an Iwata compressor for detail work.

Mixing cups; you can get these in a medical supply house for about 2 cents apiece (they are called medicine cups).

Make sure your combo pkg. is really saving you $$.

I've been airbrushing lures for about 10 years now. I asked a friend who brushes professionally when I wanted to get started. He has 25 years experience brushing everything from lures shirts cars bikes etc. He turned me on to the Paasch VL double action. I keep 2 set up at all times. He runs from 6 to 10. I get exactly what I want from my finish. The kit comes with all 3 needle sizes and all 3 tips. In my opinion you would be hard pressed to find a more dependable or versatile airbrush. As for the compressor, unless you need absolute quiet pick up a 2 to 5 gallon tank compressor from Walmart. If you have problems, take it back!