hippi97

Fading Paint

I haven't found any good "mechanical tricks" for this, it's just airbrush control. For lighter coverage, try lower pressure, finer trigger control, and hold the brush a little farther away from the surface. It's easier with small tip airbrushes, like .2mm or smaller. If there is a trick, I'd say it was overspraying the base colors you want to fade with a 3rd, translucent paint that will tend to unify the colors into a more naturalistic whole. Something I use for that is Smith Wildlife pearl chrome acrylic. It tones down the other colors and makes the shading more gradual while adding an overall 'baitfish sheen' to the lure.

I know that it might sound crazy, but try turning the air pressure up another 20 pounds or so and dial the paint flow down to about half of what you typically use. Hold your brush about a foot away from the lure surface and start shooting BEHIND the lure. Slowly work your way in to the surface with quick side to side passes. It takes some practice but I am pleased with results.