- - - - -

Painting Over Factory Paint Job

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:56 AM

Hey guys. Just a little preface, i do not paint. I have a buddy who does it for me, but hes also not the most experienced at it. Anyway, the question I have is can you paint directly over a baits factory clear coat. The reason i ask is the bait i want painted is already painted the exact base color i want. So rather than painting the whole bait again can he just paint on top of whats already there?

I have no doubt that you guys will be able answer my question. It never ceases to amaze me how much you guys know.

Thanks guys
- Richard

#2 mark poulson

mark poulson

Advanced Member

• TU Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,785 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:25 AM

The problem you face when painting over another paint job is adhesion. If you wet sand the clear coat, or use a fine scouring pad on it, or even wipe it down with a solvent that breaks the surface a little, your new paint will stick to it.
I've actually painted directly over Rapalas after wet sanding for the same reason. I just wanted to give the original shad paint scheme, silver with a black back, a more yellow cast, without losing the actual paint job and scales.
I wet sanded it first with 400 grit, and then painted with Createx transparent yellow, and wound up with bumble bee scheme, yellow belly and sides, and a brown back, which is exactly what I wanted. Beginner's luck! :lol:

#3 .dsaavedra.

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:28 AM

yup just lightly sand it. don't worry about the sanding making the factory paint look hazy, this will clear up when you put on your topcoat.