BrownPigs

Line Tie On Crankbait Lip

Thanks Diemai,

I do have a new question. I saw that some of them had wire for the line tie that went all the way back through the bait and acted as the hook hangers as well and then there was a pic where the wire was bent just so that it was stay in the lip but the wire didn't go all the way back into the bait. If I am making musky baits do I have to have the wire running all the way back into the bait or will the baits hold up if they are just in the lip?

Edited by BrownPigs

@ BrownPigs

I haven't seen a homemade muskie bait yet with such an "unconnected" line tie on a Lexan lip , ........guess , that people are not that confident and go thru-wired exclusively .

You can rig such line tie onto a metal lip , that is screwed onto the lure body , preferably made of stainless steel or thicker aluminium sheet .

I have once seen a video of a huge African nile perch , more than 60" long , ...destroying a "Rapala Super Shad Rap" , the wood body was already halfway gone , but the fish still hung on the hook and harness .

If you see such , you won't like to make any experiments and go thru-wired for big fish lures !

But if you still wanna trie it , use thicker Lexan , and make sure to anchor the lip with crosswise pins , not just glue it into it's slot .

greetz , diemai :yay:

On the topic of line ties. Many old lures like the Creek Chub Pikie had an eye bolt through the metal lip hole. It was mushroomed behind the metal lip to hold it loosely in the hole to allow lure action but but not pull out. The new metal lips available have the hole there, but nothing for an eyebolt line tie. How does one mushroom an eyebolt with hand tools? Or are there line ties made for this? I don't want a ridgid eyebolt. Anyone with ideas or techniques? 

Bob

5 hours ago, Outlaw4 said:

a cool way to make a thu wire pikie is too make the line tie run back to the joint, then use another through wire looped through the first for the tail section. use droppers off the main thru wire for the hook hangers, i like to use swivels as the droppers.

Thanks Outlaw 4. Your method would work and I am considering  it.. I'm trying to stick to the original system. With peening the eye screw end to a mushroom head to hold the eyebolt in the lip hole.  I saw on Ebay vintage pre-mushroomed eyebolts that were used for this application. The seller nor I can figure how these can be installed pre - mushroomed eyebolts through a hole smaller than the mushroom. I can only guess is to open the eye enough to thread it through the hole and than reshape the eye to a closed position. My guess is the manufacture wouldn't do this. Looking at peening online, I see possible heat and lighter taps with a small peen may work. Still don't see a manufacturer doing this either. Would a quick hit with a wire weld on the end work? Still looking for more tips.