bassbandit25

How Do U Foil A Crankbait?!

I have done 2 and they really do look good. First you need an adhesive, either spray or a thin layer of 5 min epoxy and cover your bait with it. Then get a piece of tin foil bigger than the bait. Set it down on the body and begin to press it all around the bait. You will probably do it in 2 halves. If the foil is sliding around, just get the foil in the general shape around the bait. repeat on the other side. Once the foil is set trip the edges and take a round object, spoon or paint brush handle, and smooth the entire bait. until you think it looks fine. next i take a ratchet with a checkered pattern and roll it across the bait to get a scale pattern. Then apply some paint if needed, and clear coat.

George

Options - You can also use adhesive foil. The best I've found is Venture Brite-bak foil which is designed for stained glass art: http://www.sunshineglass.com/rcol/i-proj/mosaic-access-vent.htm

It's the simple alternative - trace the lure on the back of the foil, cut it out, peel and stick, burnish down the edges. I use the little knob from a pair of Vise Grips to give it a scale effect. The Brite-bak is thin enough that you can paint over it without coating it first with epoxy to make the margins disappear and it is strong enough to take some abuse while smoothing it down and scaling it. Stick it on, smooth it down, paint it, topcoat the lure. It's the fastest, easiest method I've found.