ROWINGADUBAY

Eye Screws With Long Threads

Does anyone know where I can purchase some eye screws that are heavy gage and about 1 and 1/4 inch long or longer with the threads going the whole length of the wire ?

Every one I find only have threads about 3/4 ot the length of the wire wich is great for adding props and such but not the best for holding power for hooks and line ties.

I have been using the norm with no problems yet but it would be nice to have a little added insurance

Thanks

George

I haven't seen any that are totally threaded but several of TU musky lure builders use the regular kind, epoxied in, and have no problems with them holding. If you're looking for something with more glue area, you can also make your own. It's easy, you can customize the length to the bait, and choose a wire diameter that fits your bait design. Bend hard or soft temper stainless steel wire over a drill bit of the right size, clamped in a bench vise. Grip the ends with Vise Grip pliers and twist. Cut the rough end off with wire cutters and it's ready. I use .029" hard stainless for bass bait hook hangers and .041 soft stainless for line ties (makes the bait easy to tune).

@ ROWINGADUBAY

About 30 years ago I went through an apprenticeship as a toolmaker in the metal industry , and I believe to recall to have heard , that an increased length of threaded shaft does NOT result automatically into a stronger bond !

With a certain length of a thread the maximum strength is achieved , can't be increased anymore by adding threaded shaft length !

But glueing in the eyes certainly does , extend the pilot hole a bit larger in diameter at its entry to create a kinda glue plug surrounding the eye's shank !

good luck , diemai :yay:

@ ROWINGADUBAY

About 30 years ago I went through an apprenticeship as a toolmaker in the metal industry , and I believe to recall to have heard , that an increased length of threaded shaft does NOT result automatically into a stronger bond !

With a certain length of a thread the maximum strength is achieved , can't be increased anymore by adding threaded shaft length !

But glueing in the eyes certainly does , extend the pilot hole a bit larger in diameter at its entry to create a kinda glue plug surrounding the eye's shank !

good luck , diemai :yay:

www.mcmastercarr.com

Have to agree with Diemai on this one. Once you've reached the point at which the gripping strength of the threads surpasses the tensile strength of the wire your just wasting time trying to add to the holding power of the screw eye by adding thread length. Now trying to figure out what that point is for any given size wire and thread is above my head. You'd have to ask an engineer that question.

RG

I should have stated the other reason why I wanted the long thread and that was to just order them in a longer length and be able to cut them shorter without losing a big percent of the threads I have got around this by putting them in at an angle but there are still some spots where it would be handy to trim a 1/4 inch off a screw eye

basically I would just order a bunch of 1 3/4" screw eyes and be able to use them where a 1 1/4" eye would be better without losing much holding power

For extra holding power, score the unthreaded part of the shaft before gluing. Also be certain to degrease your stainless screw-eye threads, as there is always residual cutting oil left there. Alcohol or Acetone are effective degreasers.

i just got some from Hagens, there not fully threaded to the eye, but you can see at least what they got.