Sullivm07

Spraying Dick Nite

It seems like most on here prefer to dip DN, however I am looking at spraying with an airbrush. Just looking for some advice/experiences/cautions on doing so. I am also looking into buying a cheaper airbrush to use exclusively for spraying DN so that I can keep my quality brush for paint only. One question I had with this: would a siphon-feed be better than a gravity feed? Or would the DN start to cure in the larger siphon feed bottle quickly? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

I don't think DN would begin to cure during use if you are pouring some into a siphon or a gravity feed airbrush. I wouldn't try to store DN in a siphon feed jar though - it's just too touchy about curing when exposed to ambient air. Once it does cure (like in the jar's siphon tube) you'd have a devil of a time getting it out of there. I thought about using an airbrush to apply it but considering the amount of solvent needed to clean up afterwards, I decided dipping was preferable.

Edited by BobP

I have tried spraying a similar product, however, have given up doing that because it is a pain in the you know what to clean up and get ready (I was thinning mine with acetone). As for curing in the brush or bottle, I never had that problem while spraying (I was using siphon feed), the biggest problem I found was missing bits during the clean-up which caused problems during the next spray. I did similar to you with a cheap and nasty airbrush for spraying the topcoat, which was good because if there was dried product in the tip I was able to drill it out.

A couple of other things which bugged me about spraying was the time it took to do misted coat(s) then heavier coats. The time it took me to get ready to spray, spray baits and then clean-up was just to long compared to dipping or brushing. I recon I could dip all of my lures and be done in the time it took just to get ready to spray. Originally I sprayed cause I thought it gave a nicer and smoother coat, now I cant tell the difference between sprayed and dipped / brushed coats.

If you want it, my advice would be to dip or brush and spray as a last resort. It just takes too long compared to the other methods and you still have to open and store your DN regardless aswell. Just my thoughts and two cents,

Angus