Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Terry Anderson

Clear Coats

4 posts in this topic

Guys, I refinish furniture furniture and have begun to play with painting my own baits. I have read numerous posts on Dick Nite's finish, Target sc9000, etc. I have pondered the thought of using clear gloss conversion varnish for a clear coat on my baits. I have sprayed it on conference tables and bar tops and it levels like glass! I am going to try some on some old baits and a few knock off baits I bought from Predator. I am going to mix it in small quantities and then dip the baits. This finish does have a catalyst and I really do not want to spend the time cleaning my gun(s)! WHEN I figure out how to post pictures of my experiments, I will share them with you. Any thoughts...suggestions?

-Terry

Guys, I refinish furniture furniture and have begun to play with painting my own baits. I have read numerous posts on Dick Nite's finish, Target sc9000, etc. I have pondered the thought of using clear gloss conversion varnish for a clear coat on my baits. I have sprayed it on conference tables and bar tops and it levels like glass! I am going to try some on some old baits and a few knock off baits I bought from Predator. I am going to mix it in small quantities and then dip the baits. This finish does have a catalyst and I really do not want to spend the time cleaning my gun(s)! WHEN I figure out how to post pictures of my experiments, I will share them with you. Any thoughts...suggestions?

-Terry

I used to spray CV as well, and have always loved it. I will be very curious how this experiment turns out. If it works dipping it, it would be a great option.

After reading about conversion varnish on a couple of woodworker sites, it will be interesting to see how it performs for you. It's one thing to use it on a bar top or conference table but the durability and waterproof requirements on a crankbait are probably more extreme. We're always looking for better coatings here on TU and an update on performance after you have a chance to fish it would be great.

The ONLY apprehension I have is the "waterproof" qualities. It has to be tougher than not having a clear coat at all over lacquer based paints I would think. Nonetheless, it is just a touch less durable than urethane. I have considered the Euro 2 part urethanes as they are a simple 1-1 ratio and I can mix it in small quantities and dip much cheaper than $47.00/pint!!