FuzzyGrub

Fiberglass Resin Mold Newbie

Easy Resin Tutorial

As a plastic pouring newbie, I made some water cure RTV molds based on a thread here. They work well for certain types of baits, but had problems replicating a zipper worm. After a couple of attemps, the zipper detail gets compressed or twisted. Both trys were with appling a skim coat to the bait, before pressing into the rest of the RTV mold. I think I'm at the limitations of this type of mold.

Searching some more, I found the tutorial on fiberglass resin mold making. The tutorial looks to be very easy. Glue bait to bottom, mix resin and hardner, pour carefully, wait a day. Seems too simple. What are some of the down sides to this type of mold?

Down side--- one sided bait

Easy yes. I glue my baits down to a non stick pan. I spray the pan and the baits with cooking oil. I mix and pour, go away for a day. Flip the pan over and out comes the mold. I trim the edges with my dremel. Done

Thanks. Yes, only working with one sided baits for now. I didn't think I'd be messing with any mold making until next winter. I'll save 2-pc for then. :)

I used to make a lot of molds from resin. Very good for detail. The downsides I found are if you pour a lot of baits at a time the resin will give off a smell which gets into the baits. Also as the molds increase in temperature they will soften and can warp slightly.

www.novalures.com

I used to make a lot of molds from resin. Very good for detail. The downsides I found are if you pour a lot of baits at a time the resin will give off a smell which gets into the baits. Also as the molds increase in temperature they will soften and can warp slightly.

www.novalures.com

Thanks for the heads up. I suspect the mold heating/smell/warping will be less of an issue for me, given my slow recreational pouring rates. I will keep an eye/nose out for it, though. Thx.

Maybe a stupid question(s). Can I use a cured resin mold to make an object out of resin? or will in reactivate some of the cured resin? or shrink too much, or other problem? Just thinking if I had a "hard" object, then could make some water cure RTV molds with it.

The resin you pour into the resin mold will simply fill the cavity and become part of the block of resin. I don't think you will be able to get it out because of the shape of the bait.

www.novalures.com

Edited by nova

Thanks for the input. I have made eight resin molds. I made a couple of mistakes on the first ones. Not enough hardner, and bait position considering the resin is not flexible at all. The dremel tool is also my friend. ;) The zipper worms came out much better than the water cure RTV. Thanks again.

Once I am satisfied with a mold and know I am going to make quite a few baits I make a master of the mold with silicone and naptha with a plaster support mold ,so instead of setting up baits and making molds that way I just pour into the master. I have been using smooth on 300 to make my molds so I can get a new mold every 10 to 15 minutes