jrhopkins

Dollar Store Lure

found this gift bag at the dollar store and thought it would look great as a finish for a bait. the bag cost me 59 cents and can get enough for 3-4 lures probably.

the bag is a paper-backed mylar material. i cut it into pieces and soaked the pieces in hot water to soften the paper backing. then i rubbed the backing off leaving just the mylar film. then just used a spray adhesive to apply the mylar and clearcoated with d2t to seal it. the gill plate and head i used gold foil on and touched up the back and belly with a little paint.

IMG_1483.jpg

The dollar store is one of my favorite stores. The shelves are full of things that can spark your inventive mind. Somtimes I stop in and just walk the isles. I have spent as much as a couple of hours in there looking at everything except underwear;lol. Somtimes just the shape of a handle on a kitchen tool will inspire an idea.

The best part of the whole thing is that it's just a buck so if it doesn't work out you're not out a lot of $.

www.novalures.com

I just bought his first scroll saw and attempted my first swimbait yesterday (and first failure :blink:). Eventually I hope to be half as good as those on this site!

Nice work JR!

The dollar store is one of my favorite stores. The shelves are full of things that can spark your inventive mind. Somtimes I stop in and just walk the isles. I have spent as much as a couple of hours in there looking at everything except underwear;lol. Somtimes just the shape of a handle on a kitchen tool will inspire an idea.

The best part of the whole thing is that it's just a buck so if it doesn't work out you're not out a lot of $.

www.novalures.com

Great lure. I love his post in general. I am very thrifty by nature and love the dollar store. My favorite home made paint job was done with a roll of foil tape I found in a thrift shop for 99 cents. It was enough to do over a dozen topwater lures. Good luck to every one and remember that in these tough economic times it is quite satisfying to come up with great fish catchers that do not cost a fortune to make.

@ jrhopkins

Great idea and execution , John , ...........that bait looks just fabulous :yay: !

I 100% agree with the other guys here that the dollar store(1 Euro shop in my case :lol: )is just a kinda fairy land for the lure maker , .......I've found disposable brushes for topcoating there (two dozens at 1 €) , also aluminium tape for lurefoiling and some kinds of plastic pads , that I utilized as templates to spray patterns onto lures .

greetz , diemai :yay:

found this gift bag at the dollar store and thought it would look great as a finish for a bait. the bag cost me 59 cents and can get enough for 3-4 lures probably.

the bag is a paper-backed mylar material. i cut it into pieces and soaked the pieces in hot water to soften the paper backing. then i rubbed the backing off leaving just the mylar film. then just used a spray adhesive to apply the mylar and clearcoated with d2t to seal it. the gill plate and head i used gold foil on and touched up the back and belly with a little paint.

Very nice John, I can imagine the flashing going on with those segments waggling along.

Hey Nova -I knew I had seen you before, I walk those isles too, sometimes looking furtivly at the rolls of lacy ladies good bits, wondering what a lure would look like with little roses etc, all over:lol::blink::blink::blink:.pete