RayburnGuy

Mini Blaster Info

First of all let me say that I have limited experience with the mini blaster I purchased. It is the first and only one I have ever used. Also have limited experience with the different blasting media, but maybe I can offer some insight as to the reason it was purchased and the results I've had with it.

I purchased the mini blaster so paint could be removed from baits with etched or raised detail in them so as to keep from destroying said details. This was it's sole purpose and was never intended as a way to replace hand sanding. This is not to say it can't be done. Just the reason it was purchased.

The only two blasting medias I have used came from TCP Global as did the mini blaster. The blaster I got is a Master Model G78 and it comes with a 6' hose with an inline moisture trap, 5 ounces of aluminum oxide abrasive and a dust mask. I purchased an extra container of their medium cutting compound which is pumice. The pumice seemed to work better for me that the coarser aluminum oxide for some reason. The 2 pounds of the medium abrasive costs $14.90 plus shipping. Some archived posts here at http://www.tackleund...arch_filter_app[forums]=1

http://www.micromark...d-DECAL-REMOVER,7270.html

Edited by RayburnGuy

Mr. RayburnGuy; Awesome report! I've thought about trying this and have always chickened out. Have you thought about using a tumbler for the same purpose? There are some dry media (including walnut shell fragments). Same problem with the bill though.

Your report on the Eaton air compressor was also very helpful!

You are becoming the site Oracle on great information.

Ken

Mr. RayburnGuy; Awesome report! I've thought about trying this and have always chickened out. Have you thought about using a tumbler for the same purpose? There are some dry media (including walnut shell fragments). Same problem with the bill though.

Your report on the Eaton air compressor was also very helpful!

You are becoming the site Oracle on great information.

Ken

Hey Ken,

Been doing some thinking about your idea about the tumbler. Like you said, not sure how it would work on baits with diving lips on them, but it might be a great alternative to rattle baits or surface baits without a lip. You could load the tumbler, turn it on, walk off and forget about it while it did it's job. Nice idea. :yay: All we need now is someone with a rock or bullet tumbler to throw a few baits in it and give it a try.

Ben

I have a small sandblaster cabinet that I bought from Harbor Freight for like 129.00. I have used all of the blasting materials and have found that course sand works the best for me. I sand blast all of my baits and average about 4 min. per bait and that is stripping them down to the plastic. I have a 65 gallon air compressor that I run at 130 psi. It strips all of my repaint baits and saves an unbelievable amount of time compared to hand sanding. The only baits that I do not use it on are anything made by norman, I dont know what they use for clear but it is thick. I used to hand sand my baits, but since I bought this thing last year, I will never hand sand another one (unless norman). A wiggle wart, lucky craft etc.. strip to the plastic in no time, leaving a great surface to paint on. Just my .02 but if you do alot of repaints it is well worth the investmint.

Hey Ben, I've seen several DIY blasting cabinets made out of either microwave ovens or full size kitchen ovens....they already have a sealed glass door, and adding a couple of arm holes with rubber gloves to the side makes a simple, yet effective blasting cabinet.....I know of a few bike painters that use them for sandblasting motorcycle parts.

Hey Ben, I've seen several DIY blasting cabinets made out of either microwave ovens or full size kitchen ovens....they already have a sealed glass door, and adding a couple of arm holes with rubber gloves to the side makes a simple, yet effective blasting cabinet.....I know of a few bike painters that use them for sandblasting motorcycle parts.

That's a good idea. Plenty of old microwaves around and retrofitting them seems easy enough. Thanks KF.