Hammy

What To Buy?

Got a gift card to gander mountain ($50)...I am new to making my own lures...I have bought some things (few hooks, clevis, and split rings) but what should i spend it on at gander mountain?

You might want to put it toward one of those plastic rainproof dog houses, since that's where you'll be living when your wife finally figures out that you've spent $1,000 to make a few $5 lures. (if you aren't married, give yourself a pat on the back)

Seriously, I haven't been in a Gander Mountain for a while, but I used to buy a lot of hooks from them. You can't have too many hooks, as long as they're the kind you'll end up using. Don't forget to check out the fly tying department - there might be something there that catches your eye and could prove useful. Have fun shopping.

Haha,

"wife finally figures out that you've spent $1,000 to make a few $5 lures". I was just thinking today at how much money I've spent getting set up to make my own baits. I could have bought quite a few lures by now! :lol:

You might want to put it toward one of those plastic rainproof dog houses, since that's where you'll be living when your wife finally figures out that you've spent $1,000 to make a few $5 lures. (if you aren't married, give yourself a pat on the back)

Seriously, I haven't been in a Gander Mountain for a while, but I used to buy a lot of hooks from them. You can't have too many hooks, as long as they're the kind you'll end up using. Don't forget to check out the fly tying department - there might be something there that catches your eye and could prove useful. Have fun shopping.

very true if only she knew how much i have already spent...getting married in may so i figure i better stock up now!

Are you going to be painting lures? If so, you could try some repaints to get practice in before you paint lures that are hand carved. I know Gander has some Rapala sales going on right now.

I went into this thinking I'd like to make 10-15 lures this winter for the cost of a nice airbrush + $50 for supplies. I've probably spent close to $200 plus the airbrush just to get most of what I needed. Addictive, but kinda expensive for sure: Un-painted lures, airbrush paint, basswood, balsa, ballast weight, lexan and chipboard bills, fine glitter, holographic tape, netting for scales, Devcon 2Ton, brushes, screw eyes, split rings, hooks, dressed hooks, masks, etc, etc.

Better delay that wedding! My wife just rolls her eyes now when a box comes to our door with supplies.

Hammy, there's still plenty of time before May to prepare a strategy if your fishing/lure making life is to continue. The following advice comes from one who has been there more times than I'd like to admit.

1) Tell your lovely bride that you earn about 75% of what you really make. If she already knows, come home some night crying about the 25% pay cut you were forced to take to keep the company in business. The economy being what it is, it's entirely plausible. If she happens to work where you work, you're already screwed, so don't waste your time reading the rest of this.

2) Take the 25% and establish yourself a secret slush fund. Keep it in cash and leave no Gander Mountain receipts or other incriminating documents lying around, especially in your wallet or pockets, which wives love to secretly examine at every opportunity.

3) Safe deposit boxes require keys, which would require an explanation if discovered, so your best bet would be to find an impenetrable hiding place around the house in a spot where no modern woman ever goes. I would suggest the kitchen.

4) When your wife becomes suspicious (as she surely will) as to where all this stuff is coming from, tell her about the amazing "90% off" sales that companies like Netcraft, Cabelas, etc. have on a weekly basis. If she asks how they stay in business, tell her they make it up in volume. Then immediately change the subject before she has a chance to think about it.

5) If the aforementioned plan is to work, you must never; I repeat, NEVER, let your wife see a paycheck. If the worst happens and she stumbles onto one, tell her about all the overtime you put in last week while she was shopping for shoes and getting her hair done. A nice touch here would be to feign anger and stomp out of the room muttering about how the OT was a one-time deal and the boss's son gets it all when it's available anyway. Learning to think on your feet is a vital skill for any married man.

6) Never let your guard down. Should your wife ever trick you into absentmindedly agreeing to let her sign your checks and deposit them in the bank, you might as well sell your fishing stuff and buy a cribbage board, because that's what your recreation will consist of from that point on.

Hammy, I wish you luck. The above information should at least give you a fighting chance. I wish somebody had been around to tell me this stuff before I bit the bullet. Most of us learn these lessons after it's too late. Way too late.

I would go for re paints and jig molds everything else you can get cheaper when you buy bulk last time I checked for split rings i could get a hundred at barlow for what gander charges for ten and keep the gift card for when you need a new rod or reel or something

I agree. Get all you can out of the two and three dollar lure bins and repaint them to develop your skill with the airbrush.

Hammy, there's still plenty of time before May to prepare a strategy if your fishing/lure making life is to continue. The following advice comes from one who has been there more times than I'd like to admit.

1) Tell your lovely bride that you earn about 75% of what you really make. If she already knows, come home some night crying about the 25% pay cut you were forced to take to keep the company in business. The economy being what it is, it's entirely plausible. If she happens to work where you work, you're already screwed, so don't waste your time reading the rest of this.

2) Take the 25% and establish yourself a secret slush fund. Keep it in cash and leave no Gander Mountain receipts or other incriminating documents lying around, especially in your wallet or pockets, which wives love to secretly examine at every opportunity.

3) Safe deposit boxes require keys, which would require an explanation if discovered, so your best bet would be to find an impenetrable hiding place around the house in a spot where no modern woman ever goes. I would suggest the kitchen.

4) When your wife becomes suspicious (as she surely will) as to where all this stuff is coming from, tell her about the amazing "90% off" sales that companies like Netcraft, Cabelas, etc. have on a weekly basis. If she asks how they stay in business, tell her they make it up in volume. Then immediately change the subject before she has a chance to think about it.

5) If the aforementioned plan is to work, you must never; I repeat, NEVER, let your wife see a paycheck. If the worst happens and she stumbles onto one, tell her about all the overtime you put in last week while she was shopping for shoes and getting her hair done. A nice touch here would be to feign anger and stomp out of the room muttering about how the OT was a one-time deal and the boss's son gets it all when it's available anyway. Learning to think on your feet is a vital skill for any married man.

6) Never let your guard down. Should your wife ever trick you into absentmindedly agreeing to let her sign your checks and deposit them in the bank, you might as well sell your fishing stuff and buy a cribbage board, because that's what your recreation will consist of from that point on.

Hammy, I wish you luck. The above information should at least give you a fighting chance. I wish somebody had been around to tell me this stuff before I bit the bullet. Most of us learn these lessons after it's too late. Way too late.

that was awesome! i have looked at gander and seen split rings ect. are very expensive compared to getting them in bulk...i just might has to check out the lure bin and work on my repaiting skills!!

You Guys Crack me up! I was just telling a co worker the other day that I started the Airbrushing of crankbaits and that with what I have spent so far I could have bought several dozen Lucky Crafts! LOL:lol:

Only several dozen Lucky Crafts? Haven't been airbrushing lures very long have you? :lol:

RG

Edited by RayburnGuy

Thanks for the laughs! That is hillarious! You know they say that nothing is really funny if there is not some truth to it, so you must have hit the nail on the head! On the subject of cost I pride myself on being a cheap hooker. Luremaking like fishing itself is what you make it to be. To me that is one of the great things about it. I make lures that are functional fish catching lures for less money than store bought. Granted I already had some of the basics laying around the house to start with like a drill, a dremel tool, hammer, and coping saw, but even if you had to go out and buy those items it is not a huge expense. There are two major parts to consider when making a fishing lure... how it is going to function and how it is going to look. I put more importance on function, such as how well it casts, how true it runs, and how it acts similiar or different from the store bought models. While I want it to look good, looks I think catch fishermen more than the fish. Like I say if you want great looking lures like the ones posted here get yourself a good air brush and knock yourself out. I plan on getting one sometime soon myself, but it is not 100% critical to having fun making lures no more than buying a top of the line Triton bass boat is to having some fun fishing.