ROWINGADUBAY

Large Triple Grips

I was looking at mustads site and see that they make the triple grips in 1/0 2/0 and 3/0 but I have looked aroung at different suppliers and came up empty does anyone know where I can get some ? I have heard some places will special order them but if Mustad dont have them in stock you might not get them for a couple of months.

Also how do you think the would work on jerk baits and bucktails for hard mouth fish like muskies and nothern pike?

I only ask because they look like it would be hard to get the point of a hook to pierce bone but I know kevin van damn uses them all the time on the red eye shads and swears by them

There are two basic kinds of Triple Grips. The better ones are Ultra Points and are made from stouter, better tempered wire than the basic bronze T-grips. They just came out with a new KVD treble hook that is similar but looks to have a bit less turn-in. KVD used a short shank #2 version of the new treble on his 1/2 oz Red Eye Shads at the Classic. Haven't seen them for sale yet. I'm sure they will be pricey!

Personally, give me a Gamakatsu Round Bend any time. And if I want a stronger wire treble with turned-in points, I'd buy Gamakatsu EWG trebles. I've been using Gamy's for years and have high confidence in their performance and durability.

Kevin's new hook looks pretty good to me, but thus far i've been underwhelmed with triple grips, particularly with the sizes 6 and 8 on small crankbaits. I've done better with 4's and better still with 2's, but no better than round bends. My particular favorites have become Owner's Stinger straight points and VMC's short shank round bends. I've used a lot of Gama's in the past, but last year I noticed I was bending quite a few of the round bends. I also like Excaliber's crankbait trebles in a slightly lighter hook. If I could only use one type crankbait hook, they would be the VMC Short Shank, Round Bend, Rapala trebles.

Edited by Lure--Prof