apaseman

Hats Off To All Of You...

Well, I made my first couple of swimbaits, and one topwater plug. Then, I attempted to paint the topwater plug. Talk about amateur hour! It's gonna take me a LOT of practice to get to the point of "decent" :huh: I don't know how you all do it!

So, any tips for first starting out with an airbrush? Should I go light to dark, dark to light, does it matter?

Best advice is learn to use your airbrush before ever aiming at a bait. Practice control and practice some more. Youtube has some great instructional videos and you should check them out. These videos has nothing to do with baits but you will learn alot from them and practice. Nothing is more frustrating than working along time making the bait and at the end you are fighting the brush.

Think simple to begin with...alot of the color patterns you'll see on here (ie. bluegill, sunfish, perch, etc.) can be very enticing, but require some base knowledge in order to be successful. I made the mistake of jumping in over my head, trying to tackle too much too fast...messing up and repainting many plugs. My advice would be to start out with some two and three color patterns, using netting for scales...playing with layers of paint to achieve the colors that you want rather than laying it on heavy.

Too much of anything too fast is usually a bad thing...

...just my 2 cents.

David