Fish Bone Custom Lures

Top Coating Rapala Originals

just a quick question? Can a guy top coat rapala original floaters F7, F9, F11 with 2 ton or does it go on too thick and affect the action of the baits? thanks guys...... smile.gif

Just to add to this question, I have some Rapala F-18 baits that I want to change and or modify, I'm spraying createx colors and use DT2 as well.

What is the best way to prepare the bait for paint so it sticks and well? some baits I'm only adding some color to the belly or lip area, some spraying the whole bait completely.

I'm trolling these big baits slow at night for walleye at speeds of 1.7 and under, they don't have alot of action to begin with just a slow roll so I doubt adding some Devcon will change the baits roll much.

Thanks guys for any imput expecially on the paint prep part of the question.

What is the best way to prepare the bait for paint so it sticks and well? some baits I'm only adding some color to the belly or lip area, some spraying the whole bait completely.

You could try and scuff the area that you're painting...using a high grit sandpaper or a scotch bright pad. That should give the paint something to bite to and then if you're laying D2T over the paint, I would think you'd be golden. As far as the action concerns...I would agree with you that it wouldn't change the action too too much, but I'm a rookie with epoxy topcoats so what do I know...

Will it change the bait's performance? Yes. Anything you do to a bait, no matter how slight, changes its performance. To what extent usually depends on how much you change the shape and weight of the bait. You can change large baits with less effect than small baits. Sometimes change is good! But it's a crap shoot. If you're going to topcoat just one area of a bait with D2T epoxy, it will leave a noticeable margin where the epoxy stops (noticeable to you - I doubt the fish care). You can thin the epoxy after mixing with a FEW drops of denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner to reduce its thickness. Or you could go with a thinner product like Envirotex Lite epoxy or a polyurethane.