BullwinkleII

Bibs And Downforce

Hi people. Thanks for the amazing site.

I'm trying to make some bream lures and wrap my head around bibs.

Can anyone tell me if this is how a bib works?

blue = turbulence = low pressure = downforce

short steep bib= max downforce approx 1/3 back from the leading edge which is also approx 1/3 back from the lure's nose - lure gets pulled down almost flat

long shallow bib = max downforce approx 1/3 back from the leading edge which is just behind the lure's nose or even slightly in front of the lure's nose - lure gets pulled down nose first

-craig unsure.gifturb tacklebox.jpg

turb tacklebox.jpg

turb tacklebox.jpg

turb tacklebox.jpg

turb tacklebox.jpg

turb tacklebox.jpg

turb tacklebox.jpg

turb tacklebox.jpg

post-22189-126785955347_thumb.jpg

Your explanation is a good as any! There are many logical explanations on how lip size, shape, angle, and line tie position work. All of them make sense to me but my gut tells me that how a specific body interacts with a specific lip is more hydro-dynamically complicated than most of us recognize. If there is a supercomputer algorithm that can design perfect lips for a given body, bring it on! But I won't be holding my breath in the meantime. I rely on the products of thousands of other successful bait makers for examples of how I want my bait to perform - and copy the snot out of them!