whalernut

Floating Jigs

Any one have a cheap and easy way to paint floating jigs? I river fish for spring walleyes and lose a ton of jigs. I do make my own floaters but have not found a good way to paint them cheap and hassle free. i currently use vinyl paint and vinyl thinner. then use an epoxy to give them a hard shell. just seems like i put alot of time into them just to get them stuck on the bottom of the river!

Any one have a cheap and easy way to paint floating jigs? I river fish for spring walleyes and lose a ton of jigs. I do make my own floaters but have not found a good way to paint them cheap and hassle free. i currently use vinyl paint and vinyl thinner. then use an epoxy to give them a hard shell. just seems like i put alot of time into them just to get them stuck on the bottom of the river!

Mind explaining how you made them?

that was my next move i just didnt know how well the paint would react to the epoxy? just thought if there were some experienced jig painters out there they might have some tips.

You could always spray paint just one and see what happens.

Mind explaining how you made them?

First you need polystyrene . take one of your lead molds and over pour it so that you basicly make a single long lead cap. put your hooks in the mold use a small c clamp to clamp mold shut with hooks in place. pour in the styrene just as you would lead, then put your lead cap on top so that the styrene cant escape. hold the lead cap in place with big rubber bands. then boil in a pot of water for 12 to 15 min. quicky cool them once done in cool water and remove jigs from mold. I learned this process from a gentleman who sold me the styrene. it is time consuming but it does work! i can send you some pics if you would like. i would suggest having two to four of the same molds if you plan to make a serious amount of floaters. I use 2 molds currently.