Geppa®

How To Make "3d Scale Plugs"

Hi everyone!

In one of my last thread, someone asked me about the way I paint what I call "3d scale"; considering that I've learned much from this forum and that I like to give back as much as I can, here comes the explanation of that style of paint.

I hope that this "how to" will be helpful; I've been thinking about the way to get a kind of tridimensional scales for a couple of night (yeah, I can't sleep until I've done what I have in mind: I think I'm going mad...) and finally I got it, or at least I think I did, so here it is. I'd like to give back some info, considering that I've read a lot of things that you all shared on this forum, and these will be my "two cents". :)

The first step is to paint the lure black;

DSCF4725.jpg

This will be the color that will give the "depth" in the painting of the plug.

The next thing to do is to use a net like I did in this picture;

DSCF4726.jpg

and once done it, to spray a gold or a metallic gold from the tail to the head of the plug. I spray it in this direction because it will allow me to get a kind of "color drop" in the point where the net makes the cross, and this will be very helpful for the next step...

DSCF4727.jpg

...that is the one where we have to tear some strip of adhesive paper tape, to copy the vertical stripes of perch pattern,

DSCF4728.jpg

...And then, spray a light green with a strong angulation "head->tail", because this will give us this effect;

DSCF4732.jpg

Now, the only thing to do is to spray some transparent green on the top and on the side of the lure, then to finish it as you prefer.

These are a pair of plugs painted with this technique:

8-2.jpg

DSCF4631.jpg

Ok, this is all that I have to say about it, and I just hope to have been useful to you. 

If I have not been clear with my english or if you need to know something more, just ask me.

Thank you for having read this thread.

Francesco "Geppa"

Thank you, I'm just glad to know that this thread turned out useful for someone. :)

the scales look pretty cool, they remind me of a snake.  and a great clear tutorial. thanks!

In fact, this technique can be used to paint a snake pattern:  DSCF4453.jpg

Thank you! :)

Edited by Geppa®

i'm going to try this, but i'm going to spray my darker color from the tail to the head so the lighter "highlight" is on the rear of the scale. i think this would make it look more like fish scales than snake scales.

that snake pattern looks cool as hell! if the body was very dark brown and it had black mottling on it, it would look just like the northern snakeheads we have in our rivers here. the head shape is perfect. it just needs a different tail fin

i'm going to try this, but i'm going to spray my darker color from the tail to the head so the lighter "highlight" is on the rear of the scale. i think this would make it look more like fish scales than snake scales.

I'm looking forward to see how your idea will turn out, I'm just curious! :)

that snake pattern looks cool as hell! if the body was very dark brown and it had black mottling on it, it would look just like the northern snakeheads we have in our rivers here. the head shape is perfect. it just needs a different tail fin

I'll try to do one just like this and see what happens, even if here in Italy there are no snakeheads :)

I'll try to do one just like this and see what happens, even if here in Italy there are no snakeheads :)

cool!!! i'd love to see how it turns out. here is a picture of what a northern snakehead looks like, though sometimes they are darker in the river:

snakehead.jpg

Edited by DSV

cool!!! i'd love to see how it turns out. here is a picture of what a northern snakehead looks like, though sometimes they are darker in the river:

snakehead.jpg

this fish is fantastic! I've seen some in japanese videos, but this one is quite far the most beautiful of all!

I'll try, I'll surely try!!!

It's got some black in border of the spots, probably a second airbrush will be necessary, but I'll try to do my best, I love this pattern.

Thank you for the hint!

Thanks Geppa, great information. Are you letting the paint completely dry with the netting on it? I have had some issues if I leave the netting on until the paint dries. It pulls up some of the paint layed down after the netting was applied. So I now do a light coat of paint and then remove the netting ammedietly. This seems to have solve my issues. I like the tip of starting at the tail and spraying forward for the shadowing you get. Great affect. I would love to see a step by step on how you do your wrap scale process. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks again for the good finishing tips.

Rich

Thanks Geppa, great information. Are you letting the paint completely dry with the netting on it? I have had some issues if I leave the netting on until the paint dries. It pulls up some of the paint layed down after the netting was applied. So I now do a light coat of paint and then remove the netting ammedietly. This seems to have solve my issues. I like the tip of starting at the tail and spraying forward for the shadowing you get. Great affect. I would love to see a step by step on how you do your wrap scale process. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks again for the good finishing tips.

Rich

Yes Rich, I let the paint drywith the net on, then I take it away and spray some transparent green or pearl. This is all that I do. 

What do you mean with "wrap scale process"? I'm sorry, I didn't understand.  :unsure: