dpirila

First Tubes

I have made a bunch of tubes, but it's been a pain getting the plastic hot enough without getting the bottom layer of plastic too hot. What is everyone doing to make 4 inch tubes?

I bought a tube cutter, but it cuts the too thin and breaks the tails, not pretty like I'ld like. I read about a pasta cutter, and some home made cutters from paint rollers, are those the only choices and where would I find one?

Thanks,

I have made a bunch of tubes, but it's been a pain getting the plastic hot enough without getting the bottom layer of plastic too hot. What is everyone doing to make 4 inch tubes?

I bought a tube cutter, but it cuts the too thin and breaks the tails, not pretty like I'ld like. I read about a pasta cutter, and some home made cutters from paint rollers, are those the only choices and where would I find one?

Thanks,

What type of cutter are you using? the one I got from Bojon works like a charm. It cuts nice consistent tails pretty much every time. It's a rotary type. Picture a bunch of small pizza cutter type of blades with small rolling pin type handles.Nothing fancy but it works well. I'm not sure if Bojon still sells them, but they shouldn't be hard to make. As far as how pretty your baits are, I doubt the fish are gonna care. Some of my tubes are plain ugly and still catch a bunch of fish :lol: JIM

Edited by jimcline

What type of cutter are you using? the one I got from Bojon works like a charm. It cuts nice consistent tails pretty much every time. It's a rotary type. Picture a bunch of small pizza cutter type of blades with small rolling pin type handles.Nothing fancy but it works well. I'm not sure if Bojon still sells them, but they shouldn't be hard to make. As far as how pretty your baits are, I doubt the fish are gonna care. Some of my tubes are plain ugly and still catch a bunch of fish :lol: JIM

Contact me and I will show you how to make several different kinds of cutters.I will need your email address,so I can send some photos,also tell me what kind you are now using.I may be able to help with how you are cutting the tails with what you have.

"I have made a bunch of tubes, but it's been a pain getting the plastic hot enough without getting the bottom layer of plastic too hot. "

You must stir the plastic ALOT ...

JSC

When I'm dipping I try to stir with the rod by going through a shallow U motion shape at the bottom of the plastic in the pan.This also keeps the salt and glitter in better suspension.I ALWAYS keep the stirring stick in the plastic as I'm dipping,this acts as a heatsink making the TOO hot plastic a thing of the past.The low heat I use,plus the the heat sink keeps the plastic at a good tempature.Remember the dipping rod is in the plastic for about 1/2 second,this cools down the plastic very little.

When I'm dipping I try to stir with the rod by going through a shallow U motion shape at the bottom of the plastic in the pan.This also keeps the salt and glitter in better suspension.I ALWAYS keep the stirring stick in the plastic as I'm dipping,this acts as a heatsink making the TOO hot plastic a thing of the past.The low heat I use,plus the the heat sink keeps the plastic at a good tempature.Remember the dipping rod is in the plastic for about 1/2 second,this cools down the plastic very little.

This works well if you want to build one

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/17272-diy-tube-cutter-non-rotary/page__fromsearch__1

This works well if you want to build one

http://www.tackleund...__fromsearch__1

[/quote

would it be the same concept if you used the splitter in a vice if you have one of those instead?

I tried a pop can crusher,and a wood box of utility blades made similar to the Lurecraft aluminum one,and I it wouldn't work well,but the press,and the Lurecraft box would solve all the problems I had.