GDille

Chip Bag Foiling

Hey All,

Has anyone ever turned a potatoe chip bag inside out and foiled with it? It is very reflective, but my adhsive is not stacty enought to hold it. I go the idea when I saw the inside of a twix wraper, and decided I needed more material. Otherwise I'd have to eat alot of candy to get enough. Didn't Rapala use a candy wrapper for his first bait?

Thanks,

George

Hey All,

Has anyone ever turned a potatoe chip bag inside out and foiled with it? It is very reflective, but my adhsive is not stacty enought to hold it. I go the idea when I saw the inside of a twix wraper, and decided I needed more material. Otherwise I'd have to eat alot of candy to get enough. Didn't Rapala use a candy wrapper for his first bait?

Thanks,

George

George- yes it has been done, looks good but there are issues with epoxy top coat not sticking to the Mylar and eventually chipping off, and of course cooking oil on the bag, but it's a good exercise in getting stuff to stick etc - use contact glue on both surfaces. I think there is still a bit on this process in the 'Tutorials section', have a look there.

Make sure that any finish underneath is perfectly dry and smooth, as what you have underneath is what you will see on top (lumps /bumps through the Mylar finish).Pete

Edited by hazmail

George- yes it has been done, looks good but there are issues with epoxy top coat not sticking to the Mylar and eventually chipping off, and of course cooking oil on the bag, but it's a good exercise in getting stuff to stick etc - use contact glue on both surfaces. I think there is still a bit on this process in the 'Tutorials section', have a look there.

Make sure that any finish underneath is perfectly dry and smooth, as what you have underneath is what you will see on top (lumps /bumps through the Mylar finish).Pete

George-here's one, looked pretty good, it was coated with D2T, first rock it hit it spat off large chips, brittle epoxy does not like sticking to smooth surfaces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Pete

purp1.jpg

George-here's one, looked pretty good, it was coated with D2T, first rock it hit it spat off large chips, brittle epoxy does not like sticking to smooth surfaces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Pete

purp1.jpg

chip packets shrunk down to 1/ 8th size in the oven when i was a kid

wonder if they still do

dont know if thats a useful fact, but you never know

-craig

I don't think a chip bag is a good choise. It's slick and probley would have a hard time getting paint and clear to stick to it. Something that I've used in the past is cigarette foil from the inside of a cigerette box. If you look hard enough you can find different colors of foil also. And if you don't smoke you can ask a friend to save their cigarette boxs for you, thats what I did. But, the best foil I've found so for comes from Hobby Lobby. Go back to the paints and stuff for modal cars, and there should be a small pack of stick on foil, I think from Testers. There's only 2 sheets in the package and there about 3"by 10" . They cost a little more but their thin and easy to work with. The lure I posted is cigarette foil with D2T for clear.

foil shad.jpg

foil shad.jpg

foil shad.jpg

foil shad.jpg

foil shad.jpg

foil shad.jpg

foil shad.jpg

foil shad.jpg

post-18236-126820544653_thumb.jpg