RiverMan

wood choice for jerk baits

A coworker of mine has asked me to make him some jerkbaits and I am wondering what type of wood I should use. I cannot get balsa in the BFE town I'm living in but can get most other common woods. I have noted that the cedar jerk baits I build have more of a wobble than a wiggle, much different than what I am used to seeing in shallow running lure. Would I see much difference by using pine?

Thx!

The baits will be about 4 inches long. The reason I am asking is the other day I was experimenting with some foam for minnow bodies and found that the foam body in the EXACT same shape as the cedar had a totally different action. I really didn't expect to see the degree of difference that I did...nice tight wiggle with the foam, wobble with the cedar. Just wondered before wasting too much time if I would even notice a difference between say cedar, pine, maple, etc., or if the differences would be so subtle it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Thx Lunge.

Jed

Riverman,

I am just wondering if your lures have a diving lip on them. If so try the following trick: Use round nose pliers to bend the tie-on point downward toward the diving lip. This drastically changes the amount of wiggle in my minnow baits. You may then need to retune the lure to get it to track left/right correctly but you may gain a whole lot more wiggle. I hope this helps.

If you haven't used maple or ash before, a word of advice. Be very careful drilling your pilot holes so you don't break a bit....and be even more careful when using screw eyes (if that's what you're doing) as they will snap dfrom the torque.

I use:

1/16th inch drill bit and .092" Stainless screw eyes and I still cringe when I install them.