Billme

Question About The Hp-cs

Just getting started painting crank baits and learning much from all of you. Thanks

My question about the HP-CS is since it has the 3.5 needle/tip is it really capable of fine detail necessary for painting baits?

I have a Badger 150 and 175 that were given to me recently and after much cleaning and futzing with them I've gotten them to spray reasonably well but their performance is disappointing when I try to practice doing details, shading is OK.

I just bought a HP-CS kit from a local hobby store with a 40% off coupon but have held off using it until I'm sure I want to keep it. The price of the kit is as good as any price I've found for just the airbrush on the internet. I would appreciate some input as to whether I will see some noticeable improvement in the performance of the HP-CS over the Badgers to justify keeping it.

If I kept the HP-CS I thought I could use the Badgers for the base coat and some shading.

All feedback is appreciated.

Just getting started painting crank baits and learning much from all of you. Thanks

My question about the HP-CS is since it has the 3.5 needle/tip is it really capable of fine detail necessary for painting baits?

I have a Badger 150 and 175 that were given to me recently and after much cleaning and futzing with them I've gotten them to spray reasonably well but their performance is disappointing when I try to practice doing details, shading is OK.

I just bought a HP-CS kit from a local hobby store with a 40% off coupon but have held off using it until I'm sure I want to keep it. The price of the kit is as good as any price I've found for just the airbrush on the internet. I would appreciate some input as to whether I will see some noticeable improvement in the performance of the HP-CS over the Badgers to justify keeping it.

If I kept the HP-CS I thought I could use the Badgers for the base coat and some shading.

All feedback is appreciated.

I have the same airbrush and love it. I also have some other airbrushes as well with .2 needles and my hp-cs shoots just as good if not better when I am shooting pearls. Just play with it and you will get the hang of it.

Personally, if I had a couple of Badgers I'd prefer my 3rd brush to be something with a .2mm tip, like an Iwata HP-B. I shoot everything except flake paints and some thick basecoats through mine, unthinned. So don't think .2mm is so tiny that it's only for fine work. A .3 or .35mm brush is a great choice if you are only going to have one brush for everything - but that is not your situation. JMHO

The ability to paint fine details with any airbrush is more a product of trigger control, and learning the characteristics of the paint products used. Naturally, a .2 nozzle should produce a finer line then a .35 nozzle, but you'll be surprised how fine you can get with the larger tip size as you gain more experience with it. Painting details with the airbrush is all about trigger control, paint viscosity, air pressure, distance from the surface, and the speed you move the brush....when combined correctly detail is achieved....usually....lol.

Edited by 68KingFisher