squigster

Floating Plastic

Hi,

I searched the forums for floating plastic and have pretty much read all the posts on the subject and really didnt get the answer I was looking for. It seems like everyone said stay away from glass bubbles because of the danger. The stuff the Del sells seems to somewhat work but some people seem to say it dont. I have a roboworm type mold and I want the bait to stand up striaght off the bottom, not just partially. Can I achieve this without killing myself with dangerous additives? I am frustrated and have thought of grining up cork and soaking it in worm colorant and trying to mix it with the plastic to see if that would work but dont have any cork handy. Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Have you thought about still using the dangerous additives but wearing protective gear like a face mask or something?

I would also love to know how to make soft plastic float a 5/0 hook, hopefully we'll get some answers from some of the experts.

Edited by DeltaMan

Hi,

I searched the forums for floating plastic and have pretty much read all the posts on the subject and really didnt get the answer I was looking for. It seems like everyone said stay away from glass bubbles because of the danger. The stuff the Del sells seems to somewhat work but some people seem to say it dont. I have a roboworm type mold and I want the bait to stand up striaght off the bottom, not just partially. Can I achieve this without killing myself with dangerous additives? I am frustrated and have thought of grining up cork and soaking it in worm colorant and trying to mix it with the plastic to see if that would work but dont have any cork handy. Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You shouldn't have to add anything to the plastic in order for your bait to "stand up straight off the bottom". DO NOT add any salt or a ton of flake. If the bait will float without a hook, then with a hook the tail will stand straight up off the bottom. That's how I've always wanted my baits to be with the exception being sticks.

Edited by 152nd Street Baits

My Calhoun plastic is neutral bouyant. If I lay it on top of the water it will float, if I push it under it will stay under. My Lurecraft plastic float great.

Well I use LC plastic and it floats, with a hook it sinks. So I use Floater Bubbles. I use a respirator add them to hot plastic very slow and stir slowly. I have had no trouble. I use 4 tbs to a cup for my frogs and they float like a cork

LOL. Heres what I'm going to do to make my life easier maybe it will work for you. I going to get a 2 gallon bucket with lid and put 1 gallon of plastic in it. Next I am going to add my bubbles into the plastic uncooked and mix it up. So I'm only screwing around with that stuff one time and it will last me for a while. Then all u have to do is mix it up take out what u need and you are ready to go. Hope this helps Scott

• Like 1

Well I use LC plastic and it floats, with a hook it sinks. So I use Floater Bubbles. I use a respirator add them to hot plastic very slow and stir slowly. I have had no trouble. I use 4 tbs to a cup for my frogs and they float like a cork

LOL. Heres what I'm going to do to make my life easier maybe it will work for you. I going to get a 2 gallon bucket with lid and put 1 gallon of plastic in it. Next I am going to add my bubbles into the plastic uncooked and mix it up. So I'm only screwing around with that stuff one time and it will last me for a while. Then all u have to do is mix it up take out what u need and you are ready to go. Hope this helps Scott

That's a great idea, Reef!

I also know that if you can use a bit of those micro-spheres, trying calling M-F. They have a ton of that stuff they are trying to get rid of and they will make a pretty good deal!

The additive that is being sold to make plastic float is a very common filler that is used in a lot of different industries because it is extremely cheap and fairly easy to get. Some of the products you have in your home have it in them (potting soil, ceiling tiles, etc.). I currently work as a chemical engineer at a manufacturing plant that uses it daily. The danger with it is getting it in your eyes and lungs. If you get it in your eyes, DON"T RUB THEM. You will scratch your eyes and do a lot of damage. Also, do not inhale it. It can embed in your lungs and cause issues. Since the material is very light, it will form dust clouds when working with it in large quantities. When working with this material you should always be wearing safety goggles (that are sealed to your face so it cannot get in your eyes), and a dust mask (we use the white disposable dust masks that you can buy at any hardware store). I have personally gotten it in my eyes and have always been able to wash it out with lots of water. I have also inhaled it in small quantities and ended up coughing for an hour or two. Like many things in life, if you take the proper precautions and treat it with respect, you shouldn't have any issues.

Eric

Hi,

I've tried all the products available here, even something reffered to as bait-floatant (nothing else that a dense foam substrate which needs to be cut to desired size and shape. I ended up going back to the Micro balloons (Nitrogen filled glass beads) wear protection and voila I've got a lure which uses about 100grams of plastisol, and it drifts, smacked six largemouths off it in a morning session all weighing over 3kg's (6lbs where you guys are from).