- - - - -

Any Help For Clearing Jointed Swimbaits & Crankbaits?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 alwayscrankin

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:46 PM

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best brand of clearcoat and method for clearing jointed swimbaits like sebiles?

#2 Piscivorous Pike

Piscivorous Pike

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:19 PM

I found these sebile knock offs to be exceptional, I painted them, have some still for sale, and got Dick Nite top coat into some of the joints.
But I loaded a syringe with MEK or Acetone for the tough ones, lacquer thinner or paint thinner for the not so bad ones. Placing a drop at a time and blotting with cotton tips I managed not to damage the paint job and loosened the DN to a stiff jelly.
Then I picked it out with a pointed exacto knife and a straight pin I bent into a small hook, guess it was not straight anymore-lol
Tedious picking away at it finally removed it without damaging the finish. I also found that a few drops of wd40 also helped when you thought there was no more you could get out I would lube it, again from a syringe.

Fortunately I only did that to a half dozen or so. I do not like painting lures and will not do it again. Sold my airbrush. But looking at the picture of a few of the ones I did, I am not so bad an painter. I just have no patience.