davycrockett

Weight Forward Hooks

I made up a few weight forward spinners for walleye on Erie and was wondering which hook to use. The only info I can find is the size of hook(2/0) which is on the mold. I would like to find gold hooks like on many of the manufactured weight forwards but isn't that critical. I wondered if I could use a spinnerbait trailer hook? Any ideas? Thanks guys. B)

I made up a few weight forward spinners for walleye on Erie and was wondering which hook to use. The only info I can find is the size of hook(2/0) which is on the mold. I would like to find gold hooks like on many of the manufactured weight forwards but isn't that critical. I wondered if I could use a spinnerbait trailer hook? Any ideas? Thanks guys. B)

Davy

I am guessing that you are using a Do-it mold, such as the EF-3858 or EM-3858. My molds indicate that the hook required is a Mustad 3366G - in the 2/0 / 3/0 sizes - the gold hook you want.

According to information I got last summer - Mustad discontinued making this model hook - but there may be some out there if you look around - ie your local tackle emporium or online purveyor of fine tackle making gear. That said - I just looked at the Mustad web site, and I see the 3366G is still listed, so maybe they (Mustad) changed their mind. I've got some 3366G's on hand - and if they aren't available when I run out, I will likely switch to the 3366's (bronze).

Another thought I've had w/ regard to hooks for my inlines is using a offset shank hook (soft plastic 'worm' hooks) on my inlines - and using soft plastic twister tails, etc on them.

Hope this helps

UG

Thanks for the reply UG. Yes, my mold is the EM-3858. I was At Netcraft last week and they no longer carry the 3366G. With everyone on Erie throwing harnesses and Mayfly rigs the weight forward spinner kind of got forgotten about. If I can find the bronze in the 3366 I will go that route. :)