carolinaboy

Need An Airbrush

Ok so my Dad was gonna give me a brand new paasche airbrush that he had but never used. Well he can't find it so I think I may have to buy one for my self I wanna keep it under $100 preferably. I wanna get some predator unpainted baits and some of their eyes and go from there.

I heard Badger is a pretty good airbrush but don't know their prices. Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

You can buy a lot of different airbrushes for 100$, I personally would look into Iwata brushes on the web, You can find good deals on ebay sometimes. You didn't state if you wanted a duel or single action brush, If you are going in for 100$, it sounds like you are thinking double action.I personally use the Iwata eclipse sbs with a 1/2 ounce cup. It has a .3 tip and does everything I ask just fine. I have used badger doubles and a pasche single actions, but like many I always rely on the Iwata brand.

Well guys I am gonna be repainting my old crankbaits that need attention. I also want to do some custom stuff to unpainted crankbaits too so a decent brush for the money.

I have no idea what I need. I've never used one before just getting my feet wet on this stuff. I am a fishing pro for a local community and want to match the hatch myself. I just ordered some stuff from predatorbassbaits. I wanna make some bluegill & Threadfin shad stuff more than anything.

Thanks Guys!

A great brush is no guarantee of results, it just makes things easier. Brush choice is highly individual. I've used Paasche, Badger and Iwata brushes and prefer the Iwatas by a wide margin. If I were going to use one brush and it had to be under $100, it would be an Iwata Revolution BR. Its tip is large enough to shoot pearls and flakes but fine enough to do decent shading and details. Its price at around $70 is good and the quality that Iwata builds into all their brushes is there. JMHO

Ok well that GX207 kit looks pretty sweet and loving the price but that Iwata BR doesn't look half bad either I can't find it any where cheaper than $75 though. So if you could think back to when you first started making crankbaits and be in my shoes what airbrush would you go with between these two?

I know I want one that is worth the money and will be good and simple to use. I also know I want a gravity fed one over having a lower mounted bottle.

What does the tip size do? Do I need to buy extra ones w/ the Iwata ?

Thanks Guys for taking my annoying noobie questions :blink:

:worship:

Before you jump into a decision you should watch some youtube videos on basic airbrushing and get a feel for what you will like doing. Its a great learning tool and it doesn't cost anything. The tip size in general aids in the amount of detail or paint flow that is achievable with the airbrush. A .2 tip or needle is for fine detail as a .3 tip is a good all around brush, then a .5 tip is good for coverage like priming or top coating. You can also spray larger patterns with the smaller tip sizes, you just need to hold the brush farther back from the bait.

Back to your question, If I had to choose from one airbrush I would always go with Iwata. Quality, Cost, and performance are top notch and you will not be disappointed.

Joe

Before you jump into a decision you should watch some youtube videos on basic airbrushing and get a feel for what you will like doing. Its a great learning tool and it doesn't cost anything. The tip size in general aids in the amount of detail or paint flow that is achievable with the airbrush. A .2 tip or needle is for fine detail as a .3 tip is a good all around brush, then a .5 tip is good for coverage like priming or top coating. You can also spray larger patterns with the smaller tip sizes, you just need to hold the brush farther back from the bait.

Back to your question, If I had to choose from one airbrush I would always go with Iwata. Quality, Cost, and performance are top notch and you will not be disappointed.

Joe

ok thanks I will try out Youtube for sure. I think I will go with that Iwanta, better buy great quality now rather than regret it later. Where's the best place to buy them? Cheapest place? I don't wanna do Ebay though

Regret to tell you that ebay might be the cheapest place to look if you have patience. Amazon usually has some good prices. You still need to figure out what tip size you want and what model. Go to google shopping and type iwata airbrush and a whole lot will come up. Then do your research and have fun painting.

Regret to tell you that ebay might be the cheapest place to look if you have patience. Amazon usually has some good prices. You still need to figure out what tip size you want and what model. Go to google shopping and type iwata airbrush and a whole lot will come up. Then do your research and have fun painting.

What about this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/IWATA-Revolution-HP-BR-Gravity-AIRBRUSH-Nail-Body-Art_W0QQit... its $88 shipped and it says it includes a 6' hose too

What do you guys think?

http://www.airbrushcity.com/abk1/index.htm check out the gx207 its an awesome brush for the money its basically the same as an iwata hp-b i have both and i cant tell that much difference plus it comes with an assortment of needles and nozzles for a lot of different applications

www.warrencustombaits.shutterfly.com

What size cup does the gx207 come with?

Ok well that GX207 kit looks pretty sweet and loving the price but that Iwata BR doesn't look half bad either I can't find it any where cheaper than $75 though. So if you could think back to when you first started making crankbaits and be in my shoes what airbrush would you go with between these two?

I know I want one that is worth the money and will be good and simple to use. I also know I want a gravity fed one over having a lower mounted bottle.

What does the tip size do? Do I need to buy extra ones w/ the Iwata ?

Thanks Guys for taking my annoying noobie questions :blink:

:worship:

you might want to take into consideration the price on extra iwata needles and fluid nozzles and such you could have alot of money in that alone for me the .2 works best but some paints require a .3 i purchased a harbor freight brush for $15 for heavier paints hope this helps

Personal preference but I like the small cup on the Revolution BR. I almost never thin airbrush paint so squirting a little more in the cup if needed is no issue. And I'm often dripping 2-3 drops of paint into the brush for small details on crankbaits. To me, that cup is "right sized" for crankbaits.

The tip on my Revolution BR is .3mm and that's big enough for all the airbrush pearls and flakes I've tried. The Iwatas are not designed to change tip sizes like the Paasche VL or Badger 170T kit brushes. Other models in the Revolution series have different tip sizes suited to the cup size of that model. larger cups = larger tips. I don't know if you can buy a large tip off a different model Revolution and put in on a BR. But futzing around with the tiny paint nozzles on the Iwatas is not smart. The are smaller than grains of rice and quite easy to lose or damage, and expensive to replace. Larger tips is a non-issue to me because I've never needed one when painting cranks with my BR .3mm.

Well I think $88 shipped with a 6' hose sounds good to me so I think I'll go with this one if all goes well got a guy that wants to sell me some of his Createx paint. He has 44 bottles of various createx paints and wants $83 shipped for all of them I have no Idea if that is a good deal or not. But he will be including some free goodies like glue, netting, wash etc. He is older gentleman that wants to just make some room

What do you guys think?

Good deal? It depends on whether the bottles are the 2 oz or the 4 oz size, how full are the bottles, and whether the paint has ever been frozen. But the main question is whether the colors that he's selling are the colors YOU want on your crankbaits.

I like my Iwata Eclipse BS. In the Eclipse Series, and perhaps the Revolution Series, the bottle-feed brushes have .5 nozzles, while the gravity feed models all have .35 nozzles. What this is telling you is that you need a slightly larger nozzle size in a siphon feed to do the same job as a smaller nozzle will do in a gravity feed brush. I spray Createx, straight from the bottle, the pearls and everything else with my .35 nozzle, at various air pressures, and never thin any of it. www.dixieart.com sells the Eclipse BS for $119.95, and the Revolution BR for $72.95, and they are great to deal with.