carolinaboy

Need An Airbrush

Hey Guys,

Newbi to the Forum but I like what I see. Lots of really great information here.

Anyway, I too have been researching this airbrush thing and have read a lot of good advise postings. I'm not just a newbi to the forum but also a newbi to airbrushing lures. After much thought I have decided to order the GX207 and 2222 compressor. See pics!

gx207_lg.jpg

2222_lg2.jpg

I can get them both for $214.40 with shipping. I figure I would use the GX207 to practice a bit before spending a lot of money on a good Iwata (just incase things don't work out). Besides, the gx207 comes with three needles .2mm, .3mm and .5mm and nozzles.

Your thoughts???

Site Link

Beauty is as beauty does! If the GX207 works well, you're set. I'm less enthusiastic about the compressor. You can get a decent tool compressor at most home centers for $100 or less that will generate 100+ psi and has a 2-3 gallon storage tank so the compressor doesn't need to run all the time. A pressure regulator (often included) and a moisture trap and you're in business for about $150 with more capability than you would have with the compressor you cited. Of course, where you will be painting and how much noise you will be generating can be a consideration. But it's something to think about.

Beauty is as beauty does! If the GX207 works well, you're set. I'm less enthusiastic about the compressor. You can get a decent tool compressor at most home centers for $100 or less that will generate 100+ psi and has a 2-3 gallon storage tank so the compressor doesn't need to run all the time. A pressure regulator (often included) and a moisture trap and you're in business for about $150 with more capability than you would have with the compressor you cited. Of course, where you will be painting and how much noise you will be generating can be a consideration. But it's something to think about.

Your spot on! I have a compressor now that I use to pump up tires that has a 2 gal tank from Sears. It is a bit too loud to use in my house but would work. Currently I'm using a spare bed room turned into my little work area. I hope to one day build me a shop in my back yard to do all my hobbies in but that is way down the road right now. Since I'm just getting into painting my own lures and possibly a few fishing rods I was looking to spend a little money now just to see how it all goes. Later on (once I get a shop built) I would look at spending the money to get the really good stuff. Maybe by then I will be ready for the good high dollar tools?:rolleyes:

Well I think $88 shipped with a 6' hose sounds good to me so I think I'll go with this one if all goes well got a guy that wants to sell me some of his Createx paint. He has 44 bottles of various createx paints and wants $83 shipped for all of them I have no Idea if that is a good deal or not. But he will be including some free goodies like glue, netting, wash etc. He is older gentleman that wants to just make some room

What do you guys think?

I think you are on the right track with the brush and the paint. One thing about the paint is that it will come with colors that you probably would not think of . So by my adding you will be into it for about 190, Not bad. Until you get your brush and use it you will not have anything to compare it to till you get a second one, and a third and so on. I say but it and get started enough talking start painting. Frank

Hey Guys,

Newbi to the Forum but I like what I see. Lots of really great information here.

Anyway, I too have been researching this airbrush thing and have read a lot of good advise postings. I'm not just a newbi to the forum but also a newbi to airbrushing lures. After much thought I have decided to order the GX207 and 2222 compressor. See pics!

gx207_lg.jpg

2222_lg2.jpg

I can get them both for $214.40 with shipping. I figure I would use the GX207 to practice a bit before spending a lot of money on a good Iwata (just incase things don't work out). Besides, the gx207 comes with three needles .2mm, .3mm and .5mm and nozzles.

Your thoughts???

Site Link

Here's my Airbrush. I am thinking about getting a small compressor for it, instead of using those air supply cans or my construction compressor. I was thinking about getting one from Grizzly Tool Supply or Harbor Freight.

DSC_0485.jpg

OK no one has said much about your dads airbrush. This airbrush does not have much control as far as fluid. It is pull the trigger and go. In order to get the results I think you want it will require a brush like the one you are looking at. Your dads air brush will be good for base colors and primers. But for detail you need to control of the needle so you can get the shading you want. Two things that are real differant in the two types of brushes. Your dads mixes the paint outside the brush by suction, the gx mixes internaly. On the gx you can start the air before you get paint,and slowly pull the needle back to get paint. Not possible on your dads. You can control the fluid on your dads with the screw in front. I have seen in the past a guy that used two hands on the brush do fades like you see here but the guy was really experianced. So dont get down on your self if you cant get the results you want from your dads gun, it is real hard to get used to this type of brush.

You know one thing if you are going to get the brush like the gx if you go to ebay and look at the buy it now ones from hong kong sellers you can find one for about 30 bucks shipped. Now you wont know that they are the same but they are. I have same masters from tcp and bought two from ebay and they are the exact same but the name is differant. Once you get them in hand they are not plastic junk but they are not that bad. If you need parts you can get them from tcp but you can get a new one for less than the parts cost plus shipping. Not to confuse you farther just info on same more of the options. Have fun with this. Frank

OK no one has said much about your dads airbrush. This airbrush does not have much control as far as fluid. It is pull the trigger and go. In order to get the results I think you want it will require a brush like the one you are looking at. Your dads air brush will be good for base colors and primers. But for detail you need to control of the needle so you can get the shading you want. Two things that are real differant in the two types of brushes. Your dads mixes the paint outside the brush by suction, the gx mixes internaly. On the gx you can start the air before you get paint,and slowly pull the needle back to get paint. Not possible on your dads. You can control the fluid on your dads with the screw in front. I have seen in the past a guy that used two hands on the brush do fades like you see here but the guy was really experianced. So dont get down on your self if you cant get the results you want from your dads gun, it is real hard to get used to this type of brush.

You know one thing if you are going to get the brush like the gx if you go to ebay and look at the buy it now ones from hong kong sellers you can find one for about 30 bucks shipped. Now you wont know that they are the same but they are. I have same masters from tcp and bought two from ebay and they are the exact same but the name is differant. Once you get them in hand they are not plastic junk but they are not that bad. If you need parts you can get them from tcp but you can get a new one for less than the parts cost plus shipping. Not to confuse you farther just info on same more of the options. Have fun with this. Frank

Thanks Man, I think I will get the GX207 eventually since its half the price of the Iwata. I really don't know that Iwata seems really nice too though hmm.gif

First off I was told that Single action brushes are a PITA to use for painting details. Once I was explained to on what a single action brush does I think I kinda agree with that. Its not as easy to do a hairline strip or anything with a single action with out adjusting constantly

Ok so here is my final two options:

1. Get the GX207 and some fittings for my compressor @ ~$55
  2. OR Get the Iwata REVO. BR for $88 shipped w/ a 6' braided hose

I am honestly torn. I already spent $24 on 5 opague bottles of Createx from Michael's

I am not sure which Clear I wanna use yet too :blink: I am getting overwhelmed. I

My main concern is spending a fortune right off the bat....thats all

You guys have been great with dealing with my annoying NOOB questions So I want to Thank You:worship:

i would go with the iwata. iwata is known for quality brushes, all throughout their product line. on the other hand, i don't even know who makes the gx207. it may look nice from the pic but that doesn't say anything. my teacher just bought a no-name brush from harbor freight and it looks pretty good but it is absolute junk. granted, he only paid 15 dollars for it, so the gx207 very well could be nicer. i've seen a few people recommend the gx207 in this thread, so there may be some quality there. maybe i'm just biased because i have an iwata revolution, but i KNOW its a good brush and i'll recommend it to any beginner.

clear is up to you. nobody has a perfect clear. a lot of people like epoxies like Devcon, Etex, Flex Coat, while others like moisture cured polyurethanes like Dick Nites. personally i'm trying out a waterborne polyurethane by target coatings. not sure if i like it though. some people use automotive clear coats, and i don't know anything about them except that they are expensive, have a short pot life, and are usually volatile.

once you get all your materials start selling repaints and doing custom paintjobs. it will help offset the startup cost.

Edited by DSV

First off I was told that Single action brushes are a PITA to use for painting details. Once I was explained to on what a single action brush does I think I kinda agree with that. Its not as easy to do a hairline strip or anything with a single action with out adjusting constantly

Ok so here is my final two options:

1. Get the GX207 and some fittings for my compressor @ ~$55
  2. OR Get the Iwata REVO. BR for $88 shipped w/ a 6' braided hose

I am honestly torn. I already spent $24 on 5 opague bottles of Createx from Michael's

I am not sure which Clear I wanna use yet too :blink: I am getting overwhelmed. I

My main concern is spending a fortune right off the bat....thats all

You guys have been great with dealing with my annoying NOOB questions So I want to Thank You:worship:

In my opinion I would go with the Iwata not much more money but alot more in quality. Now I know they look good but the money is on the inside. Now on the iwata the needles quality is better the seals are made to last years and the air valve is just plane better. You wont know the differance unless you own both and use both but I do. I use the copy to do things that dont matter much but when it comes to what counts I always go with the unit that wont fail when you really need it. To start with a real quality unit makes the learning curve less. This is just my opinion, the knock offs are good but they do require more maintenance and tlc than the quailty ones. I think it is money well spent on the iwata. Frank

fittings depends on what you have. your iwata airbrush hose has a 1/4" fitting. you need an air filter somewhere along the line, they make some that fit right onto the brush like a pistol grip, they make some smaller ones that go in-line with the air hose, and then there are some (like the one i have and drew in the diagram i sent you) that are larger and sit below the air hose. so depending on what type of filter you get, you will need to decide on what fittings to get. my air filter has two female connections on both sides, so i need a male-male to connect my hose to the filter, and i needed a male-disconnect to connect the filter right onto the air compressor. i don't remember what size the quick disconnect is on my compressor, but if you know yours is 1/8" then thats the size you need. fittings aren't complicated you just have to plan out what you need based on what you have.

fittings depends on what you have. your iwata airbrush hose has a 1/4" fitting. you need an air filter somewhere along the line, they make some that fit right onto the brush like a pistol grip, they make some smaller ones that go in-line with the air hose, and then there are some (like the one i have and drew in the diagram i sent you) that are larger and sit below the air hose. so depending on what type of filter you get, you will need to decide on what fittings to get. my air filter has two female connections on both sides, so i need a male-male to connect my hose to the filter, and i needed a male-disconnect to connect the filter right onto the air compressor. i don't remember what size the quick disconnect is on my compressor, but if you know yours is 1/8" then thats the size you need. fittings aren't complicated you just have to plan out what you need based on what you have.

Ok thanks bud, will do

I also have been looking for an airbrush to start making own lures. My brother who was recently certified in just about everything related to auto body work including airbrushing suggested I try http://www.tcpglobal...FcrY5wodnjTZDA. They have a lot of choices on kits and good information on what your buying. Also they have kits that include compressors that average $150.

I would because with an Airbrush with a Fairly small cup. It might be a great Brush, But when my airbrush gets low on paint it will sometimes start spitting for a few seconds, throwing a bunch of unwanted little dots of various colors :nono: I don't know if any others will, but that might be something you want to watch out for. but then again I have a a fairly cheep Airbrush.

Update:

I purchased the GX207 but did not get that air compressor. I went to Harbor Fright and got one for $75 (Campbelle Hausfeld) which has 2 gallons and works perfectly.

The GX207 only has a 2cc cup and NO cap. I was unaware that there was no cap and that can lead to a messy situation. I do like the brush and it seems to work well for just practicing since I'm trying to get used to the air and then only adding small amounts of paint. As for using it to paint lures it should do just fine.

I do plan to purchase an Iwata brush later but I figured I would just get one to mess around with to get used to it and then get something better. At least I will have a backup or can use it for fine lines or, since it only has a 2cc cup, use it for when only small amounts of one color is needed.

3.5 of 5 stars ;)

Dick Blicks has a sale right now $20 off a $100...$25 off $120 purchase and so on... I just ordered another Eclipse for basically $100... Smokin deal!!!

Save $20 on orders of $99 or more!

Save $25 on orders of $125 or more!

Save $30 on orders of $150 or more!

Save $35 on orders of $175 or more!

Save $40 on orders of $200 or more!

Applies to all online, in-stock items!

plus FREE SHIPPING on orders $99 or more!*

http://www.dickblick.com/landing/specialoffer/