Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CMARTIN269

91% Isopropyl For Thinning

12 posts in this topic

Can you use 91% alcohol for thinning E-Tex or D2T or does it need to be denatured?

Edited by CMARTIN269

I used Isoproply once, and it was a disaster. The epoxy never set up. Turns out it's a totally different animal than denatured.

Denatured is the only alcohol to use as an epoxy thinner/solvent.

Isopropyl is great for giving you bait a prepaint wash , but like Mark said it just doesn't cut it as a solvent

I'm not completely knowledgeable on the subject but I think iso. has a little bit of oil in it and that can't be good.

I'm not completely knowledgeable on the subject but I think iso. has a little bit of oil in it and that can't be good.

If is got oil in it sure has not affected my baits I give them a heavy bath in it before I prime and I have zero fisheyes and if it had oil in it you would think that would be the first thing you would see.. correct me if I'm wrong..

(I just pulled the msds sheet on it and it states 91% alcohol 9 % H2o water...)

Edited by K.C.K.

K.C.K.

Thats why I said not completely knowledgeable on the subject. I thought I seen that it contain minute amounts of oil on the web somewhere for skin care but I could be wrong.

I never understood why people wanted to thin ether one of them?? I mean Etex is already thin enough and 2-ton can be thinned by heating it up with a hair dryer. Hotter you heat it the thinner it gets. I personally think your asking for a weaker clear coat if you cut it.

Can you use 91% alcohol for thinning E-Tex or D2T or does it need to be denatured?

The 91% has water in it making up the other 8%. Denatured has no water in it. I don't think water and epoxy would go good together.

I have thinned D2T with 91% with no problem. Guess I just got lucky?

-

Me too. biggrin.gif

-

I agree heating it thins it, but I don't have a heat gun, and hair dryer on high only thins it for a very short time. Thinning with alcohol seems to make it much easier to work with, keeps it thin as the alcohol takes a while to flash off. I can get much thinner and durable coats mixing D2T with alcohol. No problems. wink.gif

I have used denatured alcohol a lot in different epoxies including D2T and it worked ok- they call it 'Metho' here (methylated spirits) and it is about 95% ethyl alcohol ('Ethanol') and 5% methyl alcohol content - the methyl alcohol is added to stop people drinking it:

Here is a break down : http://adunk.ozehosting.com/metho.html

Including "Names for methylated spirits around the world"

Pete

Edited by hazmail

I have used denatured alcohol a lot in different epoxies including D2T and it worked ok- they call it 'Metho' here (methylated spirits) and it is about 95% ethyl alcohol ('Ethanol') and 5% methyl alcohol content - the methyl alcohol is added to stop people drinking it:

Here is a break down : http://adunk.ozehosting.com/metho.html

Including "Names for methylated spirits around the world"

Pete

Oh yeah-------------Isopropyl alcohol is 87.9% by weight isopropyl alcohol and 12.1% by weight water, I reckon this water content would be what does the damage to epoxy???

Pete