CMARTIN269

91% Isopropyl For Thinning

I'm not completely knowledgeable on the subject but I think iso. has a little bit of oil in it and that can't be good.

If is got oil in it sure has not affected my baits I give them a heavy bath in it before I prime and I have zero fisheyes and if it had oil in it you would think that would be the first thing you would see.. correct me if I'm wrong..

(I just pulled the msds sheet on it and it states 91% alcohol 9 % H2o water...)

Edited by K.C.K.

I have thinned D2T with 91% with no problem. Guess I just got lucky?

-

Me too. biggrin.gif

-

I agree heating it thins it, but I don't have a heat gun, and hair dryer on high only thins it for a very short time. Thinning with alcohol seems to make it much easier to work with, keeps it thin as the alcohol takes a while to flash off. I can get much thinner and durable coats mixing D2T with alcohol. No problems. wink.gif

I have used denatured alcohol a lot in different epoxies including D2T and it worked ok- they call it 'Metho' here (methylated spirits) and it is about 95% ethyl alcohol ('Ethanol') and 5% methyl alcohol content - the methyl alcohol is added to stop people drinking it:

Here is a break down : http://adunk.ozehosting.com/metho.html

Including "Names for methylated spirits around the world"

Pete

Edited by hazmail

I have used denatured alcohol a lot in different epoxies including D2T and it worked ok- they call it 'Metho' here (methylated spirits) and it is about 95% ethyl alcohol ('Ethanol') and 5% methyl alcohol content - the methyl alcohol is added to stop people drinking it:

Here is a break down : http://adunk.ozehosting.com/metho.html

Including "Names for methylated spirits around the world"

Pete

Oh yeah-------------Isopropyl alcohol is 87.9% by weight isopropyl alcohol and 12.1% by weight water, I reckon this water content would be what does the damage to epoxy???

Pete