mainbutter

Lurecraft's Plastic Paint - What Works As A Solvent?

I want to use lurecraft's plastic paint in my airbrush (with their retarder of course), but what do I use to clean my airbrush afterwards? They don't really say what "kind" of paint it is, so I don't know what is a good solvent for it. Would either acetone or denatured alcohol work?

Went out side right now and tried den alchohol,acetone and laquer thinner. The acetone cut it best and right away. The laquer thinner did OK but there was something funny going on(a white milky haze) but did work to cut it. The den alcohol did not work at all it just geled up imediatly. I would use acetone. Frank

Went out side right now and tried den alchohol,acetone and laquer thinner. The acetone cut it best and right away. The laquer thinner did OK but there was something funny going on(a white milky haze) but did work to cut it. The den alcohol did not work at all it just geled up imediatly. I would use acetone. Frank

I think with that stuff the real key isn't only finding what reduces the paint well. You also have to find something that dissolves the plastic so the pigment adheres/infuses.

Never used the stuff, but I remember hearing on here a couple years ago that MEK works. Or if you can find clear PVC primer in a cost effective quantity.

I know from experience that MEK does not work. I bought it to try to revive some of the LC paint that was way too dry and it doesn't mix with the paint at all.

Do you remember what it did when you mixed it? That is good to know though. Frank

Yes, it did not mix with the paint at all...it stayed separate as if it was water and didn't even get tinted by the paint.

Being in the auto refinish business for close to thirty years and really never found a need for mek but it is a part of laquer thinner. But so is many other products. Good to know. The plastic paint is a real differant type of paint though. Frank

I might add...I don't airbrush but I've switched to craft paints for my kill spots and other details and won't ever buy LC paint again. There are people on here that airbrush craft paints but I don't know who. They work great, especially if the bait is going to be dipped. :twocents: