Norwegian Wood Lures

New Lip Trick .

I think its a new trick but anyway . I found that i have a ton of those plano box dividers . I figured that they might make some good lips for cranks and such . So i traced out a pattern on them wich works great because they are see threw . then i cut them out with a tin snip . sand with some 100 grit sand paper and tack a exacto to trim the edge and wala . I havent tested them in the water yet but they dont break so i think that they might be good !

Sorry to disappoint you. Mark Poulson has already tried such plano box material. I think it can be used, being soft they wouldn't break, so this may be an alternative to polycarbonate. On the other hand, they are a little too soft, so I think they would wear out if the lip would touch gravel or sand on the bottom of the water. So using this material is a matter of personal choice.

I think its a new trick but anyway . I found that i have a ton of those plano box dividers . I figured that they might make some good lips for cranks and such . So i traced out a pattern on them wich works great because they are see threw . then i cut them out with a tin snip . sand with some 100 grit sand paper and tack a exacto to trim the edge and wala . I havent tested them in the water yet but they dont break so i think that they might be good !

THANKS FOR RECYCLING TIP...Now I can show the wife,that I do use some of the odd things around the cave.

No I'm not buried alive in stuff....LOL

Sorry to disappoint you. Mark Poulson has already tried such plano box material. I think it can be used, being soft they wouldn't break, so this may be an alternative to polycarbonate. On the other hand, they are a little too soft, so I think they would wear out if the lip would touch gravel or sand on the bottom of the water. So using this material is a matter of personal choice.

Rofish is right. I've been using Plano dividers for lips for a little while now.

I only use them on wake baits, and shallow running cranks, which won't be digging into gravel or against rock. The material is plenty rigid for that, and deflects off brush and wood fine.

They are also good for tails on smaller jointed baits, either glued into the last section, or swinging from two snap rings from the last section. The material is rigid enough to interfere with a good hookset if the tail is glued in and is too big, so that's why I lean toward the double split ring connection. Plus, it swims really well.

Rofish is right. I've been using Plano dividers for lips for a little while now.

I only use them on wake baits, and shallow running cranks, which won't be digging into gravel or against rock. The material is plenty rigid for that, and deflects off brush and wood fine.

They are also good for tails on smaller jointed baits, either glued into the last section, or swinging from two snap rings from the last section. The material is rigid enough to interfere with a good hookset if the tail is glued in and is too big, so that's why I lean toward the double split ring connection. Plus, it swims really well.

I knew I was saving those things for some reason! Sounds like a good idea. I also use indiana spinner blades for lips. Just put in a screw (i usualy use a 1 1/16 inch screw) parallel to the lip leaving about a quarter inch or less exposed as desired. The bait can easily be tuned when complete by bending the exposed portion of the screw left or right as needed. Kind of an easy cheap way of doing it but it works good enough for a cheap hooker like me.

Sounds interesting but they might be too soft. It may be good to prototype different bills and baits for free. I have been considering using guitar picks which come in a huge variety of size ,shape, thickness and color. They are only about 50cents. They also come in a few different types of plastic.Good luck with your project :D.

Edited by VermontPhisher

If you put Epoxy (or something similar) on the Plano Spacer for the lip, it will make it significantly Stronger. But you have to use the right type of Epoxy. But that will keep it from getting beat up on Gravel/Rocks. it works for me But test it for yourself. Don't quote me on saying "I Guarentee!" Like a car dealer! hah :lol:

An Excellent Idea! thank you.

I just bought some li'l critter craw kits and they came in the plano stowaway with dividers. When I first opened the box I was confused as to why they would toss in some dividers when the craws are as big as the box but now I'm glad to have em.

I have used them for lips too and still do from time to time but most the time they were too flexible for me. What I really like them for is tails on my baits. They work great for that.

I have used them for lips too and still do from time to time but most the time they were too flexible for me. What I really like them for is tails on my baits. They work great for that.

Ever have a plano box that's been out in the sun for a few weeks? Not so supple anymore, it gets super brittle over time. Even for tails I think it's a bad idea if you're using the lures a lot. It'll break off eventually.

Ever have a plano box that's been out in the sun for a few weeks? Not so supple anymore, it gets super brittle over time. Even for tails I think it's a bad idea if you're using the lures a lot. It'll break off eventually.

Clamboni,

I don't think the dividers are made from the same stuff as the boxes. The divider material seems softer and more flexible. Probably a cheaper plastic.